The Irish Holstein Friesian Association has announced the winners of its annual national herds competition, as judged by John Cousar of the Howcommon herd, Scotland.
This, alongside the unveiling of stockjudging results, took place as part of an open day on the farm of the Ballyclider herd of Peter Ging & family, Ballyclider, Portlaoise, County Laois
According to the association, the national herds competition is a real celebration of the dairy quality on show around Ireland.
“A time-honoured tradition in the IHFA, farms from each of the 15 clubs nationwide put forward their very best members in spring and winter calving sections to compete for the top spots.”
“Various awards are up for grabs based on production, animal conformation and EBI, as well as a specials judges prize for those indivduals that really go above and beyond,” the spokesperson added.
Spring Section Winners:
- 1st Sean Begley, Co. Kerry
- 2nd Edward FitzGerald, Co. Limerick
- 3rd Ronan Siochru, Co. Kerry
Under 80 Section Winners:
- 1st Philip Jones, Co. Wexford
- 2nd Noel O’Donovan, Co. Cork
- 3rd Colin Walsh Co.Dublin
Over 80 Section Winners:
- 1st Rickey Barrett, Co. Cork
- 2nd Joseph & Kevin Doran, Co. Kildare
- 3rd Garry Hurley, Co. Wicklow
- 1st John, Garry and Pat Hurley, Co. Wicklow
- 2nd Edwin and Kevin Bennett, Co. Cavan
- 3rd Michael Spillane, Co. Tipperary
Judges Recognition Award
- Prize – winners: The Beattie Family, Delvin, Co. Westmeath.
Additional IHFA Awards:
Top EBI Cow that has not previously won an award: Lesk Pat Snowdrop 535, owned by James E Moylan, Lesk Herd, Co.Kilkenny.
Top EBI Cow Classified VG/EX that has not previously won an award: Doonmanagh LHZ Sunflower, John P Galvin, Doonmanagh Herd, Co. Kerry.
National Stockjudging Results:
Under 18 section:
- 1st Place: Carlow/Kilkenney team – Conor Coleman, Manus Murphy and Conor Gibbons
- 2nd Place: Breffni Oriel team – Sarah Williamson, Zoe Greenan and Stephen McCoy
- 3rd Place: Slaney team – Chloe Goff, Bill Quigley and Will Jones
- Individual U18 Overall winner: Stephen Harty, Kerry Club
18 – 26 Years Old Section:
- 1st Place: Breffni Oriel team – Andrea Rafferty, Mark McCoy and Brendan Reilly,
- 2nd Place: Carlow Kilkenny team – Padraic Coleman, Josephine McCarthy and Hannah Murphy,
- 3rd Place: Galway team – Thomas Feeney James Gildea and Donal Coppinger
- Individual 18 – 26 Overall winner: Andrea Rafferty, Breffni Oriel Club
Over 26 Years Old Section:
- 1st Place: Carlow / Kilkenny team – Eamonn Coleman, Padraic Murphy and Trevor Stephenson
- 2nd Place: Slaney team – Colin Stevenson, Philip Jones and Anthony Kealy
- 3rd Place: Donegal team – Alan MacBeth, Roy Cromie and Trevor Lockhart
- Individual Over 26 Overall winner: Donal Burke, Limerick Clare Club
All imagery in this article – Maria Kelly
See more farming news on www.thatsfarming.com