Belgian Beltex Sale Report 2023
An exceptional year of honours continued at Tullamore Mart on August 18th, 2023, for the renowned Hillview Flock of Dermot Goss from Co. Louth at the Belgian Beltex Breeders’ Society of Ireland sale in Tullamore Mart.
Having already captured the All-Ireland and elite show titles with shearling rams, this time it was Dermot’s shearling ewe, Hillview Holly, that was tapped out as overall champion.
The Bodoney Fabien sired female later headed west, after being snapped up by the Lisnacrann Flock of Michael and Niamh Oliver in Swinford, Co Mayo for €1,200.
This was not Dermot’s only success on the day as he also took first place in the aged ram class with his entry, Bodoney Fabien.
This prolific sire opened the selling on the evening and was in “high” demand, eventually selling to the Edmondstown flock of Michael McGrath in Co. Westmeath for €1,750.
The male champion and reserve champion overall came in the form of Kilgerrill Jotham from the flock of Colm and Geraldine Lyons in Co. Galway. Sired by Castlemeadow Frankel, a premier show champion two years previous, this stylish ram lamb is “sure to have a great breeding future”, according to a spokesperson.
The reserve male champion was lot 21, Aileach View Happy, a Rathbone Eagle sired shearling ram from Jack O’Brien, Co. Donegal, which now heads to Fergal McGann in Co. Galway at €1,150.
Reserve female champion also came from Co Galway, lot 111 Knockawuddy Jina, property of Jimmy Killilea.
This stylish ewe lamb also sired by Castlemeadow Frankl, was acquired in the sale by Sean McCartney in Co. Laois.
The red rosette in the Lamb Plus class was awarded to double five-star ram, Cloneycavan Joey, lot 56, by Artnagullion Ed, from the Cloney Cavan flock of Stephanie and Hugh O’ Connor.
A spokesperson for the society told www.thatsfarming.com that the shearling ram trade saw “the highest clear-out percentage of the sale with the 4 and 5 starred SIS eligible tups in highest demand and fetching the higher prices, similar to most sales in Ireland this year”.
Other standout sales included shearling rams from Thomas Clarke selling to R. Kean Co. Cork for €1050 and John Maher selling to Christopher Fay, Co. Westmeath for €740.
Breeding females were also in high demand, they reported to the publication.
Tom Kenny, Co. Galway put his lot 99, Hillswood Holly, under the hammer to Thomas Lynam for €640 and lot 100, Hillswood Hannah, to Eddie and Sheena McCarthy. The Co. Cork breeders also forked out €620 for lot 97, Hillview Heather.
Judge Kenny Preston from the renowned Glenpark Flock, Omagh, Co. Tyrone commented on “the high standard of sheep and did a stellar job in judging large classes throughout the day”.
“Kenny’s consistency was acknowledged around the show ring and this continued in the sales ring.”
Champion: Hillview Holly – Dermot Goss
- Reserve Champion: Kilgerrill Jotham – Colm and Geraldine Lyons
Aged Ram Class
- 1st – Bodney Fabien – Dermot Goss
Shearling Ram Class
- 1st – Aileach View Happy – Jack O’Brien
- 2nd – Ballysize Haze – John and Sean Dunne
- 3rd – Hillview Hector – Dermot Goss
- 4th – Castlemeadow Hercules – Michael Lynch
- 5th – Seaview Hercules – Aeron James
- 6th – Quarrymount Hawkeye – Brian Mathews
Ram Lamb Class
- 1st – Ballinakill Jupiter – John and Dudley Maher
- 2nd – Benji Jasper – David Pearson
- 3rd – Cloneycavan Jameson – Stephanie and Hugh O’ Connor
- 4th – Quarrymount Jakub – Brian Mathews
- 5th – Moyvoon Johan – Niall Kyne
- 6th – Roundwood Jambo – Tadhg Hogan
Lamb Plus Class
- 1st – Cloneycavan Joey – Stephanie and Hugh O’ Connor
- 2nd – Awbeg Jills Choice – Eddie and Sheena McCarthy
- 3rd – Ballysize Jed – John and Sean Dunne
- 4th – Edmondstown Jack Daniels – Michael McGrath
- 5th – Ballinakill Jeff – John Maher
- 6th – Ballinakill Jacob – John Maher
Shearling Ewe Class
- 1st – Hillview Holly – Dermot Goss
- 2nd – Shanderg Hannah – Cathal Tuohy
- 3rd – Quarrymount Hail Mary – Brian Mathews
- 4th – Ballinakill Hayden – John Maher
- 5th – Hillswood Holly – Tom Kenny
- 6th – Knockawuddy Hedia – Jimmy Killilea
Ewe Lamb Class
- 1st – Knockawuddy Jina – Jimmy Killilea
- 2nd – Seaview Joan of Arc – Aeron James
Other dates for your diary:
- Ballinasloe Mart – Show and sale on September 28th, 2023;
- Tullamore Mart – In-lamb show and sale – December 1st, 2023.
See more farming news on www.thatsfarming.com
To share your story, email – [email protected]