Topping the Belgian Beltex Breeders Society of Ireland’s elite sale in Tullamore Mart on Friday, July 21st, 2023, was Sheephaven Hendrix, the reserve champion from the Sheephaven flock of Declan Robinson in Co. Donegal.
This price equals the Irish record price set this year also, showing the ongoing popularity of the breeding, according to a society spokesperson.
County Louth breeder, Dermot Goss, has continued on from his All-Ireland show success taking the overall champion title with his shearling ram, Hillview Hercules.
The ram was later purchased jointly by Laois breeders, Alan Cuddy, and Keith Murphy.
A spokesperson said: “The elite sale is the society’s earliest sale of the year and offers pedigree Belgian Beltex breeders a fantastic opportunity to purchase breeding stock at an early stage in the year.”
“It was no surprise from early on Friday afternoon that both sale averages and clearance rates would be high as a fantastic standard of sheep was put forward in all three classes.”
“This early excitement was well justified with a clearance rate of 90%.”
Judge on the day was Matthew Burleigh from the renowned Matt’s Flock in Co. Fermanagh.
Matthew was tasked judging large number of rams presented forward in both the lamb and shearling classes with all entries of “a very high standard”.
Meanwhile, whilst the shearling ewe class “did not disappoint and saw a full clearance in the later sale”.
John Maher’s champion ram lamb, Ballinakill Jupiter, sold for €640 to new breeders, the Lynam family from Castletown Geoghegan Co. Westmeath, who also purchased females from Cyril Keane (lot 35 – Maree High Queen) and Thomas Clarke (lot 33 – Brabraduff Hennessey).
Meanwhile, the top priced ram lamb on the day went to Cyril Keane selling Maree James bond to William Fitzgerald Co. Roscommon for €780.
Tom Kenny’s shearling ewe, Hillswood Holly, lot 32, was awarded champion female at show time and fetched the top priced female tag later in the day, selling to Amy Ryan and Shane O’ Brien in Co. Mayo for €760.
Show results were as follows:
- Champion: Hillview Hercules – Dermot Goss
- Reserve Champion: Sheephaven Hendrix – Declan Robinson
Shearling ram class
- 1st – Hillview Hercules – Dermot Goss
- 2nd – Sheephaven Hendrix – Declan Robinson
- 3rd – Sheephaven Henry – Declan Robinson
- 4th– Hillview Hooligan – Dermot Goss
- 5th– Quarrymount Hulk – Brian Mathews
- 6th– Edmondstown Hugo – Michael McGrath
Ram lamb class
- 1st – Ballinakill Jupiter – John and Dudley Maher
- 2nd – Maree James Bond – Cyril Keane
- 3rd – Quarrymount Jack Black – Brian Mathews
- 4th – Branraduff Johnny Cash – Thomas Clarke
- 5th – Maree Jambomb – Cyril Keane
- 6th – Hillswood Just the One – Tom Kenny
Shearling ewe class
- 1st – Hillswood Holly – Tom Kenny
- 2nd – Hillview Hayley – Dermot Goss
- 3rd – Maree High Queen – Cyril Keane
- 4th – Ballinakill Hasna – John and Dudley Maher
- 5th – Branraduff Hennessey – Thomas Clarke