Raphoe Mart – Cattle Prices – 05-05-2022
The mart manager reported that a large entry of stock came under the hammer at the Donegal-based mart’s weekly cattle sale.
She explained that strong, cattle were in “high demand” changing hands from €2.80/kg to €3.40/kg, while medium weights were also “a similar price”.
“An increased number of farmers around the ring and online drove the trade for lighter cattle. They sold from €2.60-€3.60/kg on the day,” she explained.
Raphoe Mart 05-05-2022
- Bulls over 600kgs – €1085 to €1595 over the weight;
- Beef bullocks – €915 to €1215 over the weight;
- Store bullocks – €450 to €1265 over the weight;
- Beef heifers – €650 to €1415 over the weight;
- Store heifers – €400 to €995 over the weight.
- Friesian cattle went under the hammer from €1.80/kg to €2.20/kg;
- Aberdeen-Angus cattle made from €2.20/kg to €3.20/kg;
- Bulls/bullocks sold from €2.20/kg to €3.40/kg;
- Heifers fetched from €2.30/kg to €3.50/kg;
- Fat cows traded from €800/head to €2530/head.
This week’s sheep prices
According to Harkin, prices hit €370 at the mart’s sheep sale on Monday, May 2nd, 2022.
She reported that ewes with one lamb changed hands from €130 to €220/team, while ewes with twin lambs at foot traded from €180 to €370/team.
Meanwhile, dry ewes sold from €80 to a high of €240.
Spring lamb prices:
- €120 to €140 for 35-38kgs;
- €140 to €160 for 39-42kgs;
- €160 to €180 for 43-55kgs.
Interview with Ann Harkin
Ann Harkin from Convoy, County Donegal, never envisioned a career in agriculture with no farming background until the late 1980s.
In 1989, she applied for Raphoe Livestock Mart’s secretary job and became manager in 2001 due to the late John Witherow’s tendering.
“I never was in a mart until the day I did the interview; it was a secretary and financial controller position, which I applied for as my career; it was not because of a love of farming,” she told That’s Farming.
“I never thought I would become a manager; it was the trust of the committee and the mart shareholders who had confidence in me. It was never a job in my wildest dreams did I think I would get because I was not from a farming background.”
- Address: Raphoe Livestock Mart, Lifford, County Donegal.
- Contact: 074 914 5385
- Sale days: Sheep sale – Mondays at 11 a.m. Cattle sale – Thursdays at 11 a.m.
You can find more mart reports.
To include your report, email us – at [email protected]