Just over 800 entries went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday, July 23rd, according to George Candler.
Speaking following the general cattle sale, the mart’s auctioneer said: “A special section for beef bullocks, heifers and cull cows created plenty of interest with up to €2.23/kg for continental cows and Friesians to a top of €1.85/kg.”
He reported an “excellent trade” for cattle with a top call of €3.17/kg for a 585kg Limousin heifer.
- 600kgs+ – €1.75-€2.49/kg or €1,050-€1,990/head;
- 500-600kg – €1.70-€2.55/kg or €840-€1,390/head;
- 400-500kgs – €1.50-€2.75/kg or €640-€1,210/head;
- <400kgs – €1.50-€2.74/kg or €480-€1,000/head.
- Friesians – €1.15-€1.85/kg;
- Continentals – €1.35-€2.23/kg.
- Beef – €1.90-€3.16/kg or €1,200-€1,900/head;
- Forward stores – €1.80-€2.70/kg or €900-€1,270/head;
- Light stores – €1.80-€2.71/kg or €580-€1,070/head.