Kilkenny Mart report – calf prices – 04-05-2021
According to George Candler, a smaller entry of some 250 calves met with a “good selling” trade at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, May 4th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a “good trade all round for all types”. “Exporters are more anxious for the lesser calf with the trade been helped by a reduction in numbers.”
“The top call was for an Aubrac bull born in November 2020 and he sold for €520. Friesian bull calves peaked at €170 with Aberdeen Angus bulls and heifers to a top of €310.”
Summary – Kilkenny Mart 04-05-2021:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €90-€170/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €50–€90/head;
- Continental bulls – €180-€520/head;
- Continental heifers – €140-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €120-€310/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €110-€310/head.
Calf prices last week:
According to George Candler, some 400 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, April 27th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported “a sharp trade all round for calves” which led to a 100% clearance. He reported a top call of €410/head for a Limousin bull, while continental heifers reached €300/head.
Kilkenny Mart 27-04-2021 – Summary:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€170/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €40-€90/head;
- Continental bulls – €280-€410/head;
- Continental heifers – €170-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €140-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €120-€280/head.
Cattle prices on 29-04-2021:
According to George Candler, some 1,200 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday, April 29th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that a larger entry was on offer with a “good” trade for beef-type bullocks and heifers.
“Plain cattle, especially lighter types were more difficult to sell. Top-quality stores are still meeting a good trade with perhaps a reduction of €10 to €30 per head compared to last week.”
“The lack of grass growth is the reason for this situation. Beef types and forward store bullocks and heifers were in demand. Cull cows met an outstanding trade,” Candler added.
- Bullocks – 600kgs – €1.90-€2.60/kg or €1,320-€1,950/head:
- 500-600kgs – €1.75-€2.55/kg or €910-€1,490/head:
- 400-500kgs – €1.65-€2.75/kg or €690-€1,350/head:
- Friesian cull cows – €1.50-€2.45/kg;
- Continental cull cows – €1.50-€2.45kg;
- Beef heifers – €2.00-€2.65/kg or €1,250-€2,150/head;
- Forward store heifers – €1.85-€2.80/kg or €800-€1,160/head;
- Store heifers – €1.70-€3.10/kg or €580-€1,020/head.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.