Kilkenny Mart report – calf prices – 27-04-2021
According to George Candler, some 400 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, April 27th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported “a sharp trade all round for calves” which led to a 100% clearance. He reported a top call of €410/head for a Limousin bull, while continental heifers reached €300/head.
Kilkenny Mart 27-04-2021 – Summary:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€170/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €40-€90/head;
- Continental bulls – €280-€410/head;
- Continental heifers – €170-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €140-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €120-€280/head.
Cattle prices at Kilkenny Mart:
According to George Candler, some 1,100 lots were on offer at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday, April 22nd.
The auctioneer reported that quality “was not as good as previous weeks”. He noted that forward stores and beef-type animals met an “excellent” trade, while plainer, forward store and lighter-types were easier in all rings.
- Bullocks – 600kgs – €1.70-€2.55/kg or €1,240-€1,700/head:
- 500-600kgs – €1.80-€2.65/kg or €910-€1,540/head:
- 400-500kgs – €2.15-€2.64/kg or €680-€1,300/head:
- <400kgs – €1.50-€2.80/kg or €350-€1,000/head:
- Beef heifers – €2.05-€2.63/kg or €1,100-€1,660/head:
- Forward store heifers – €2.00-€2.65/kg or €1,050-€1,470/head:
- Store heifers – €1.50-€2.82/kg or €380-€969/head:
- Friesian cull cows – €1.16-€1.75/kg;
- Continental cull cows – €1.45-€2.12/kg.
According to George Candler, a larger entry, comprising some 450 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Monday, April 26th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that both lambs and hoggets met with an easier trade.
Speaking following the sale, he said: “A slippage in the price of spring lambs and hoggets with the fact that numbers are increasing the reason for the slippage in price. Cull ewes met a steady trade.”
- Spring lambs – €3.27-€2.80/kg or €150-€175/head;
- Hoggets – €2.80-€3.12/kg or €148-€181/head
- Cast ewes – €70-€118/head.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.