Kilkenny Mart report – calf prices – 27-04-2021
The mart’s auctioneer reported “a sharp trade all round for calves” which led to a 100% clearance. He reported a top call of €410/head for a Limousin bull, while continental heifers reached €300/head.
Kilkenny Mart 27-04-2021 – Summary:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €80-€170/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €40-€90/head;
- Continental bulls – €280-€410/head;
- Continental heifers – €170-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €140-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €120-€280/head.
Cattle prices at Kilkenny Mart:
The auctioneer reported that quality “was not as good as previous weeks”. He noted that forward stores and beef-type animals met an “excellent” trade, while plainer, forward store and lighter-types were easier in all rings.
- Bullocks – 600kgs – €1.70-€2.55/kg or €1,240-€1,700/head:
- 500-600kgs – €1.80-€2.65/kg or €910-€1,540/head:
- 400-500kgs – €2.15-€2.64/kg or €680-€1,300/head:
- <400kgs – €1.50-€2.80/kg or €350-€1,000/head:
- Beef heifers – €2.05-€2.63/kg or €1,100-€1,660/head:
- Forward store heifers – €2.00-€2.65/kg or €1,050-€1,470/head:
- Store heifers – €1.50-€2.82/kg or €380-€969/head:
- Friesian cull cows – €1.16-€1.75/kg;
- Continental cull cows – €1.45-€2.12/kg.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that both lambs and hoggets met with an easier trade.
Speaking following the sale, he said: “A slippage in the price of spring lambs and hoggets with the fact that numbers are increasing the reason for the slippage in price. Cull ewes met a steady trade.”
- Spring lambs – €3.27-€2.80/kg or €150-€175/head;
- Hoggets – €2.80-€3.12/kg or €148-€181/head
- Cast ewes – €70-€118/head.
Upcoming sales (online-only due to Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
See more mart reports here.