New generations of young farmers are coming through all the time, with a lot of them inheriting land from their parents or a relative.
These farmers have spent much of their time working alongside their predecessors to prepare them for when their day comes along – some have better experiences of this than others.
While waiting for that opportunity to arise, here are some of the thoughts that may go through their head:
- “I’ll remember that when I’m choosing your retirement home.”
- “Will you just let me come home already.”
- “No dad, I promise I won’t sell the land…”
- “I don’t know where he got this love for hardship.”
- “Just because it worked 40 years ago doesn’t mean it will work now.”
- “A new tractor would be nice…”
- “Right, I’m off to New Zealand. See you in 10 years.”
- “Is there really any money in this?”