The FCI has published its charges guide for 2022, which contains hay, straw and silage baling rates.
The body is “satisfied” that this averaged price guide continues to provide “fair and reasonable” guidance for farm and forestry contractors and their clients.
However, it stressed that one must remember this is only a guide.
FCI produces these guide figures on an annual basis. It collates an average figure for each operation from a panel of members across Ireland.
Because of the local differences, the actual guide charge may vary between:
- Across soil types;
- Distance travelled;
- Size of contract undertaken;
- Size and type of equipment;
- Scale of work.
It has based prices on green diesel at 75c/L. The body stressed that the “guide charges do not reflect this market trend and such agreements may make a significant difference to contracting charges”.
It has provided prices as a guide only, plus VAT at 13.5% and per area or per hour and include operator, unless otherwise stated.
FCI confirmed that it is aware that many contractors make individual arrangements with clients regarding diesel.
Overall, the body warned that farmers across Ireland would see an average minimum 5% increase in agricultural contracting service charges in 2022.
It has provided the following guide charge rates for hay and straw baling.
- Large square bales of silage (6x4x3) – €9.5-10/bale;
- Large 5x3x2 silage bales wrapped: €14-15/bale;
- Small square bales (hay) – €1/bale;
- Hay – round bales (4×4): €5.50-6/bale;
- Cutting/mowing – hay – €24-26/ac;
- Hay – turning/rowing – €13-14/ac;
- Small square bales (straw) – €1.50/bale;
- Round bales of straw (4×4) – €5.50-€6/bale;
- Round bales of straw (5×4) – €6-€6.5/bale;
- 8x4x3 – Straw – €11-€12/bale;
- 6x3x3 – Straw – €7/bale;
- Straw – (8x3x3) – €9.5-€10/bale.
Forestry contracting services:
Last week, we featured an article on the FCI’s guide rates for forestry contracting services.
The association provided the following prices in its 2022 charges guide:
- Forwarded small – €85-€105/hour;
- Forwarded large – €115-€126/hour;
- Small timber harvester – €125-€135/hour;
- Large timber harvester – €135-€155/hour.