Farmers are among those who have featured in a List of Tax Defaulters, which Revenue has released in respect of the period October 1st, 2021 to December 31st, 2021.
Revenue published the list in two parts today (Tuesday, March 8th, 2022):
- 1: Persons in whose case the court has determined a penalty relating to a settlement or has imposed a fine, imprisonment or other penalties in respect of a tax or duty offence.
- 2: Persons in whose case Revenue has accepted a settlement offer instead of initiating court proceedings, or a settlement has been paid in full. This list reflects the amount of a settlement that remained unpaid at the end of the period of December 31st, 2021.
Failure to lodge Income Tax Return(s):
- Raymond McGrath, Newtown, Garristown, Co Dublin – farmer – €2,500;
- Kevin Ryan, Fairview House, Logmore, Belmullet, Co Mayo – farmer – €1,250;
- John Smiddy, Ballyhonock, Killeagh, Co Cork – farmer/agricultural contractor – €0;
- Patrick Lee, 10, Glencarrig Court, Firhouse, Tallaght, Dublin 24 – milk vendor – €1,250.
Misuse of marked mineral oil:
- Noel Duignan, Derreenavoggy, Arigna, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Roscommon – farmer/construction – €2,500;
- Patrick McHale, Newfield, Mulranny, Newport, Co Mayo – farmer – €2,500.
- John Cunningham, Kilmacoliver, Tullahought, Piltown, Co Kilkenny – farmer – Tax: €31,274; Interest: €9,020; Penalties: €9,382; Total: €49,676; Revenue Enquiry Case: Under-declaration of Income Tax;
- James Fennell, Burtown House, Athy, Co Kildare – farmer – Tax: €53,585; Interest: €14,305; Penalities: €16,075; Total: €83,965; Revenue Audit Case: Under-declaration of Capital Acquisutions’ Tax;
- John Anthony Nevin, Lurgan, Killoran, Ballinasloe, Co Galway – Company director/farmer – Tax: €24,058.91; Interest: €13,893.57; Penalties: €7,217.40; Total: €45,168.98; Revenue Audit Case: Under-declaration of Income Tax;
- Sean O’Connor, Castlelawn, Kilbrittain, Bandon, Co Cork – Coach hire operator/farmer – Tax: €149,623.13; Interest: €34,562.27; Penalties: €44,886.94; Total: €229,072.34. Revenue Audit Case: Under-declaration of VAT;
- Patrick Timmins, Killinure House, Tullow, Co Carlow – Farmer/machinery supplier – Tax: €27,240.81; Interest: €7,057.38; Penalties: €5,710.63; Total: €40,008.82. Revenue Investigation Case: Under-declaration of Income Tax and VAT.
Revenue Compliance Yield
According to Revenue, in the 3-month period to December 31st, 2021, a total of 384 audits and investigations, together with 14,214 risk management interventions (aspect queries and profile interviews), were settled.
Revenue stated that this resulted in a yield of just over €1.015 billion in tax, interest, and penalties.
Other farming news: