Cootehill Mart – sheep prices – 13-01-22
According to Geoffrey Drury, in-lamb ewes were “on fire” at Cootehill Mart on Thursday, January 13th, 2022.
The mart manager reported that some 1,100 sheep went under the hammer at its general weekly sheep sale.
Cootehill Mart 13-01-2022
Speaking following the sale, he said:
“Top prices were for a batch of 5 hogget ewes lambing down in two weeks sold at €265 a piece. They generally ranged from €220-€240 for batches of 2-5.”
“Ewes with lambs at foot made as high as €395 for a ewe with one lamb team. They typically varied from €250-€365.”
“Store lambs were holding firm from the previous week,” the spokesperson added.
“The top prices were €3.35/kg for a batch of 12 (€80). The second-highest prices were €3.33/kg (€130) for a batch of 4, and third-highest price was €3.32/kg (€90) for a batch of 5 lambs.”
He noted that f lamb prices were back from the previous week as factory prices are back 10c/kg.
“Top prices were €3.27/kg (€135) for a batch of 6, €3.24/kg (€135) for a batch of 6 and €3.21/kg (€140).”
“Top ram price was €395 for a Beltex non-PB ram,” the spokesperson concluded.
About the mart:
The mart re-opened under new management in 2021.
The Cavan-based sheep and cattle mart draws customers from Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and further afield.
The premises, now named Cootehill Livestock Mart, was under Jimmy and Carmel O’Reilly’s management for seven years.
The Drury family is now leasing the premises on a ten-year basis.
- Address: Station Road, Cootehill, Co Cavan;
- Contact details: Phone: 0495555362;
- Sales days: Sheep and cattle sales weekly. Sales online via LSL Auctions.
View other mart reports.
- Next week’s sheep sale starts again at 6:30pm on Thursday.
- Special suck calf sale on Friday, January 8th, 2022 followed by first weekly sale of weanlings and sucklers for 2022. Sale starts at 6:30pm.
- Next dairy sale will be held in two weeks’ time on Thursday, January 21st, and every two weeks thereafter.