Some 740 lots are catalogued for Aurivo Balla Mart’s opening weanling show and sale, which takes place this Tuesday, September 5th, 2023.
Judging is set to commence at 10 am, followed by the sale, across two rings (ring 1 – weanling bulls – 540 lots and ring 2 – weanling heifers – 200 entries, at 10: 30am.
Classes for 2023-born show calves are as follows:
- 1 – Best Charolais Bull Calf – sponsored by Edward Kelly Plant Hire;
- 2 – Best Charolais Heifer Calf – sponsored by TJ Heneghan MRCVS;
- 3 – Best Limousin Bull Calf – sponsored by Michael Maloney and Associates;
- 4 – Best Limousin Heifer Calf – sponsored by Mayo Abbey Co-op;
- 5 – Best Belgian Blue Bull Calf – sponsored by McEllins of Manulla;
- 6 – Best Belgian Blue Heifer Calf – sponsored by Harrington’s Concrete in Kilkelly;
- 8 – Best Simmental Calf – sponsored by the Irish Simmental Cattle Society.
- Champion – sponsored by livestock auctioneer, Raymond Clarke.
According to the mart, animals must be sold in the ring to claim prizes.
Weanling sales are set to continue every Tuesday at 10:30 am until further notice.
Other special upcoming sales at Aurivo Balla Mart, Co Mayo in conjunction with general weekly cattle sales on Saturdays:
- Special feeding heifer sale – Saturday, September 2nd, 2023;
- Special bullock sale – Saturday, September 9th;
- Special breeding heifer sale – Saturday, September 16th, 2023;
- End of month continental sale of bullocks and heifers – Saturday, September 30th, 2023.
Record price for suckler pair
On Saturday, August 26th, 2023, the mart saw a new centre record price for a suckler pair with a €4,650 price tag.
The 2019-born SAX second-calver, herself out of a Charolais-cross dam, with her December-2022-born EBY heifer, with a combined weight of 1,035kgs, sold in ring three after the mart’s sale of cull cows and stock bulls.
The cow was scanned on August 22nd, 2023, circa 3.5 months in-calf to a four-star Limousin stock bull, due in February 2024.
Watch a video of livestock auctioneer, Brendan Corrigan, selling the team.
Balla Mart information:
- Address: Aurivo Balla Mart, Carrowntober, Oughter, Co. Mayo
- Contact information: Phone: 094-9365068 or see Aurivo’s website.
- Sale days: Weanlings: Tuesdays (seasonal). Bullocks, heifers, cull cows, sucklers, and stock bulls on Saturdays.
- That’s Farming previously profiled Stephen Hannon, general manager of Aurivo Marts and manager of Balla Mart – Read this article with Stephen Hannon.
- Read more mart reports(cattle and sheep prices) on That’s Farming.