A Salers-cross cow with her Limousin-cross heifer calf have sold for what could be a new centre record price for a suckler pair at Aurivo Balla Mart, Co Mayo.
The 2019-born second-calver, herself out of a Charolais-cross dam, with her December-2022-born heifer, with a combined weight of 1,035kgs, sold for €4,650, at the mart’s general cattle sale on Saturday, August 26th, 2023.
The cow was scanned on August 22nd, 2023, circa 3.5 months in-calf to a four-star Limousin stock bull, due in February 2024.
Upon entering the ring, resident livestock, auctioneer, Brendan Corrigan, announced that the cow has a five-star replacement index with a value of €159 (genotyped), while the heifer also boasts a five-star replacement rating (also genotyped) with a value of €143.
He requested an opening bid of €3,000 and brisk bidding began from €2,500, with a hive of quick-fire ringside and online activity.
With predominately €50 bid increments, she skyrocketed to €4,650 and the hammer fell to a ringside bidder, who expressed interest from the beginning.
Full mart report to follow on www.thatsfarming.com
Upcoming sales at Aurivo Balla Mart, Co Mayo:
- Special feeding heifer sale – Saturday, September 2nd, 2023;
- Special show/sale of weanlings – Tuesday, September 5th, 2023 – Tuesday sales thereafter at 10:30am;
- Special bullock sale – Saturday, September 9th;
- Special breeding heifer sale – Saturday, September 16th, 2023;
- End of month continental sale of bullocks and heifers – Saturday, September 30th, 2023.
Balla Mart information:
- Address: Aurivo Balla Mart, Carrowntober, Oughter, Co. Mayo
- Contact information: Phone: 094-9365068 or see Aurivo’s website.
- Sale days: Weanlings: Tuesdays (seasonal). Bullocks, heifers, cull cows, sucklers, and stock bulls on Saturdays.
- That’s Farming previously profiled Stephen Hannon, general manager of Aurivo Marts and manager of Balla Mart – Read this article with Stephen Hannon.
- Read more mart reports(cattle and sheep prices) on That’s Farming.