An Irish vet based in Australia has been struck off the register after admitting that she injected herself and her friends with a horse tranquilliser.
Catherine McGuigan was found guilty of unprofessional conduct following a recent State Administrative Tribunal (SAT)ruling.
Furthermore, she has been ordered to pay $4,000: $3,000 in costs and a fine of $1,000.
The SAT heard that she injected herself and two friends with ketamine during what the Australian.com reported to be a “boozy, drug-fuelled” weekend with friends.
The trio stayed in an apartment in Wannaup in October 2020. They “were drinking and consuming cocaine” when she took a 100ml bottle of ketamine from her vehicle.
The publication reports that McGuigan asked her female friend how much she weighed so she “could check on the internet the correct dose of ketamine to administer”.
“When acting in the lawful practice of her profession as a veterinary surgeon, the respondent was authorised to possess ketamine but was not authorised to administer or use ketamine on humans,” the SAT said.
It was also told that McGuigan had provided a friend with a strong muscle relaxer, Diazepam, about one month later to “help her sleep”.
She was required to make a clinical record of its supply but failed to do so.
The SAT heard that McGuigan had administered Airway Gel to herself last year, which is another broncho-dilating agent for horses.
In a post on Facebook in August 2013, Murray Veterinary Services said:
“Murray Vets would like to introduce all our clients to our new equine veterinarian Catherine McGuigan.”
“Catherine is an enthusiastic veterinarian from Ireland who has recently joined the MVS team.”
“Having worked in the horse industry in Ireland, the United Kingdom and Australia, Catherine brings a valuable range of knowledge and experience to the practice.”
“We look forward to you all meeting Catherine and enjoying some of her good Irish humour,” the post concluded.