Tuam Mart report – sheep prices – 24-08-2021
According to Marion Devane, a “large volume” of sheep turned out for Tuam Mart’s annual sheep show and sale on Tuesday, August 24th.
The mart manager reported that a “superior yard” of sheep met with a “brisk” trade.
She commented: “Wether lambs were a fantastic trade, with a high volume of activity from farmers and factory agents.”
“A special word of St. Jarlath’s Credit Union Tuam for sponsoring our annual sheep show and sale and for continuing to support us with our special sales each year.”
Tuam Mart 24-08-2021
- 33 kg lambs by a Ballyglunin farmer – €113 – €3.42/kg;
- 36.6 kg lambs by a Ballinasloe farmer – €117 – €3.20/kg;
- 40 kg lambs by a Turloughmore farmer – €115 – €2.88/kg;
- 42 kg lambs by a Caherlistrane farmer – €120 – €2.86/kg;
- 45.5 lambs by a Kilamine farmer – €124 – €2.73/kg;
- 55.7 lambs by a Dunmore farmer – €137 – €2.46/kg;
Note: Tom Devaney won the butcher lamb show category and Oliver Macken won the factory lamb category.
She reported that ewe lambs were an “exceptional” trade with first prize going to Gabriel Walsh for 64 kg lambs at €182.
- 43.5 kg lambs by a Barnaderg farmer – €140 – €3.22/kg;
- 40 kg lambs by a Milltown farmer – €140 – €3.50/kg;
- 48.5 kg lambs by a Ballyglunin farmer -€165 – €3.40/kg;
- 52 kg lambs by a Cummer farmer – €170 – €3.27/kg.
Prices for ewe hoggets reached €260/head, with Patrick McNamara securing the red rosette. Devane highlighted that ewe hogget buyers paid premiums for entries that were “well made and presented”.
Prices ranged from €140 to €260, levelling to €193/head.
- 10 hoggets by a Cummer farmer – €260;
- 12 hoggets by a Cloghanshill farmer – €240;
- 10 hoggets by Headford farmer – €220;
- 8 hoggets by a Ballinrobe farmer – €190.
A “superb” selection of breeding ewes sold to a top call of €200/head, which a Lavally farmer achieved. Prices in this category averaged €182/head. Michael Donnellan won first prize.
Cull ewe trade peaked at €194 for 104kg ewes by a Brownsgrove farmer. 80 kg ewes by a Corrandulla farmer made €142 while 61 kg ewes fetched €94.
Report from cattle sale.
- Address: Church View, Corralea West, Tuam
- County: Galway
- Phone: 093-24353
Upcoming sales at Tuam Mart:
- Cattle sales every Monday;
- Sheep sales every Tuesday. Intake from 12 pm to 3 pm. Breeding ewes and hogget at 4:30 pm on the plank and lamb sale on the plank at 5 pm.
Read more mart reports.
To include your reports, email – [email protected]