Kilkenny Mart report – calf prices – 18-05-2021
According to George Candler, a smaller entry of some 220 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Tuesday, May 18th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that “quality was not as good as last week”.
“Farmer buyers were in short supply, but exporters were operating for the lesser-type animal.”
Kilkenny Mart 18-05-2021:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €100-€160/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €30-€80/head;
- Continental bulls – €140-€300/head;
- Continental heifers – €100-€280/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €100-€280/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €80-€270/head.
Calf prices at last week’s sale
According to George Candler, Kilkenny Mart’s sale comprised of some 350 entries on Tuesday, May 11th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that a larger entry went under the hammer in comparison to the previous week’s sale.
“Fewer farmers operating but exporters filled the void – especially for plainer-types,” Candler added.
Kilkenny Mart 11-05-2021:
- First-rate Friesian bulls – €90-€205/head;
- Second-rate Friesian bulls – €50-€80/head;
- Continental bulls – €180-€300/head;
- Continental heifers – €140-€300/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford bulls – €120-€310/head;
- Aberdeen Angus/Hereford heifers – €100-€300/head.
Cattle prices at last week’s sale
According to George Candler, some 650 lots went under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday, May 13th, 2021.
The mart’s auctioneer reported that while a smaller entry was on offer, forward stores and beef types met “an excellent selling trade”.
“An indication of the super trade for cull cows was this sector provided the top-priced animal, a Limousin cow, which weighed 835kgs and realised €1,940,” Candler remarked.
- Bullocks – 600kgs – €1.70-€2.55/kg or €1,230-€1,700/head:
- 500-600kgs – €1.80-€2.60/kg or €960-€1,420/head:
- 400-500kgs – €1.80-€2.70/kg or €760-€1,210/head:
- <400kgs – €1.70-€2.76kg or €400-€1,050:
- Friesian cull cows – €1.01-€2.04/kg;
- Continental cull cows – €1.50-€2.36/kg;
- Beef heifers – €2.00-€2.80/kg or €1,200-€1,860/head:
- Forward store heifers – €1.90-€2.70/kg or €950-€1,360/head:
- Store heifers – €1.90-€3.17/kg or €500-€1,000/head.
Upcoming sales (Online and ringside under Covid-19 restrictions):
- Sheep sale – Mondays at 10 am with a dairy sale at 12 pm
- Calf sale – Tuesdays at 11 am.
- Cattle sale – Thursday – Cows at 10 am, followed by heifers, with bullocks at 10:30 am.
Mart reports – cattle and sheep prices:
Read more mart reports.