Wednesday, November 29, 2023
1.4 C
HomeFarming NewsFunding of up to €76,750 to repair derelict homes
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnane hails from a sixth-generation drystock and specialised pedigree suckler enterprise in Co. Mayo. She currently holds the positions of editor and general manager at That's Farming, having joined the firm during its start-up phase in 2015.
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Funding of up to €76,750 to repair derelict homes

Derelict Homes Funding

Derelict homeowners can now draw down up to a maximum of €76,750 for repair works under new government funding.

Some properties may be eligible for up to €50,000 under the Croí Cónaithe Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant and the SEAI Better Energy Home Scheme, which covers works of up to €26,750.

Earlier today, the government launched the expanded Croí Cónaithe Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant, which That’s Farming has previously informed readers about in this news article.

According to a statement, the expanded grant now includes eligible vacant properties in cities and more remote rural areas, in addition to those in towns and villages, which have been eligible since July 2022.

The government believes that the scheme’s expansion will help bring vacant and derelict properties back into residential use and ensure the use of existing housing stock to the “fullest extent possible”.

“It will also help limit emissions from residential construction and add vibrancy to Ireland’s cities and rural areas,” the statement reads.

- Advertisement -
What properties are eligible?

The Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant will apply to all eligible vacant properties in cities, towns, villages and rural areas.

Properties considered for inclusion must be vacant for two years or more and built before 1993.

The scheme is exclusively available to individuals or households for which the property will be their principal private residence. It is not available to undertakings and/or developers, etc.

Applicants may only avail of the grant once in keeping with the requirement that it be their principal private residence.

The following categories of works are eligible for grant assistance, subject to a reasonable cost assessment by the local authority and to the limits for specific works as set out in the table below.

The works must be approved in advance, following an inspection by the local authority of the subject property.

According to the government, the following qualify:

  • Substructure works (including works to foundations; rising walls; beds / slabs; damp-proofing; underpinning);
  • Superstructure works (including works to internal / external walls; chimneys; upper floors; stairs; roof structure; other structural timbers);
  • Completions (including works associated with external doors and windows; internal doors and associated frames, architraves and ironmongery; balustrades; skirtings; roof lights; fascias / soffits; rainwater goods);
  • Demolitions / strip-out / site clearance (including removal of hazardous materials);
  • Finishes (including finishes to external / internal walls; ceiling finishes; tiling / waterproof finishes to wet areas; roof finishes);
  • Services (including plumbing; heating; ventilation; power; lighting; telecommunications; smoke / CO2 detection);
  • Fittings (including kitchen units; sanitary /bathroom fittings);
  • External works (necessary external/site works carried out within the curtilage of the site);
  • Extension within the ambit of exempt development under planning regulations as part of a wider refurbishment;
  • Professional services associated with works (fees/surveys).

Confirmation of vacancy can be validated and verified by the use of, for example, Utility Bills, which can help determine vacancy periods (e.g. pattern of usage or disconnection) or such other proofs as are available a local authority’s satisfaction.

Proof of both vacancy and ownership will be required to support the grant payment. In terms of ownership, it is a matter for the applicant to confirm ownership with the local authority.

A local authority may give approval in principle to a grant application where the applicant is able to provide evidence of active negotiations to purchase a property, i.e. confirmation of engagement from the estate agent or owner of the property, and where the owner provides such evidence as to vacancy as is required under the scheme on behalf of the applicant.


- Advertisment -

Most Popular