Progressive Genetics has released its Spring Dairy Catalogue 2023, which includes sires that dominate the first three positions on ICBF’s latest dairy active bull list.
FR6547, FR7296 and FR6960 are among the highlights in this breeding season’s line-up, according to a company spokesperson, who provided the following information:
- 1 – FR6547 – Lunasa is available sexed & conventional;
- 2 – FR7296 – Aramax has an “exceptional health sub-index;
- 3 – FR6960 – Xaar is also available sexed & conventional.
In addition, the firm also has the top 3 Hereford sires and 4 of the top 5 AA sires on the DBI list.
Prohurst Eoghan (AA7485) is the No. 1 sire available on the Dairy-Beef Index and Beef Sub Index, the spokesperson told That’s Farming.
They provided the following information on other “notable” highlights;
- FR7047 Pistol – a well-balanced sire for production and fertility and one of the most used bulls in 2022.
- FR7986 Zak – Outcross pedigree with excellent type, fertility and kgs of milk solids. Available sexed & conventional and is easy calving;
- FR8403 Milton – A new and upcoming sire that has it all – Production, Fertility & Health. Dam averaging > 4% protein.
- Daughter-proven sires such as Seville, Dandyman and Supreme and one of the highest daughter-proven sires available, FR4842 – Heywood, has “excellent” percentages and is easy calving.
- Exciting high-type sires with production and fertility – Graziano, Hailstone, Francis PP, and Alibi, are all available in sexed semen.
- Crossbred sires –Tungsten, Amato, and Endurance are “leading the way” with fertility, low maintenance and milk solids.
- Flekvieh – A large range of Flekvieh sires that bring production fertility and calf quality. ZERO ONE *TA is “an interesting sire with excellent percentages”.
The spokesperson previewed the following bulls:
- Aberdeen Angus: Prohurst Eoghan (AA7485) is the No 1 sire available on the Dairy Beef Index. He is also the number 1 available sire on the beef sub-index with a carcass weight of +23.9 kgs. HW Lord Horatio (AA6682) is a proven superior carcass sire, with a carcass weight of +14.7 kgs.
- Hereford: Gouldingpoll 1 Zoro (HE6841) is “the complete package”, combining high beef value and calving ease, the spokesperson outlined. He carries an “impressive” carcass weight figure of +8.9kgs. Fisher Profile combines an “exceptional” beef sub-index of €105 with short gestation and calving ease.
- Belgian & British Blues: According to the spokesperson, BB8899 – GREYSTONES NEWMATIC & BB7278 – BBG ELK 236 DE BOULOGNE are “exceptional sires suitable for mature cows and achieving excellent calf quality”.
- Longhorns: Progressive Genetics has several Longhorn sires available that are suitable for the Longhorn scheme. If you are interested in using straws in the scheme, contact Ailish Osborne on 087-2437690.
They commented: “Progressive Genetics has the highest genetic merit dairy-beef sires available on the market. This covers a range of different breeds including Angus, Hereford, Belgian & British Blues, Longhorn, and Limousin.”
About Progressive Genetics
Progressive Genetics is part of the largest dairy and beef breeding programme in Ireland, run by the National Cattle Breeding Centre (NCBC).
The objective of the dairy beef breeding programme in NCBC is to deliver high beef valve, carcase weight and conformation while achieving calving ease and short gestation to maximise calf quality and value.
Previous article on That’s Farming:
Progressive Genetics’ ‘coloured bulls to suit every breeder’