Factories are paying a base price of €3.40/kg for steers and €3.50/kg for heifers this week, with reports of an additional 5c/kg being offered by some plants.
Young bulls are ranging from €3.45-€3.50/kg, while €2.60-€3.00/kg is on the table for cull cows, with quotes for this category reportedly up 10c/kg on last week.
The national beef kill, for the week commencing April 27th, rose slightly to 25,964 (including 309 calves), according to the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine’s database.
- Young bulls: 2,480;
- Bulls: 781;
- Steers: 9,923;
- Cows: 4,278;
- Heifers: 8,193.
Same period last year:
- Young bulls: 3,884;
- Bulls: 1,109;
- Steers: 10,521;
- Cows: 6,368;
- Heifers: 9,618;
Total: 31,560 (includes 59 calves).
- Week commencing April 20th – 25,602 calves (including 473 calves);
- Week commencing April 13th – 25,225 (including 739 calves);
- Week commencing April 6th – 27,124 (including 418 calves);
- Week commencing March 30th – 30,731 (including 1427);
- Week commencing March 23rd – 35,607 (including 2,834 calves);
- Week commencing March 16th – 37,898 (including 3,434 calves);
- Week commencing March 9th – 38,957 (including 3,277 calves).