Beef factories in Northern Ireland increased quotes for cattle this week.
According to the LMC (Livestock and Meat Commission), base quotes for in-spec U-3 grade prime cattle continued to range from 384-394p/kg.
The commission expects similar quotes early next week, while it expects factories to pull cull cow prices by 30p/kg.
Quotes for good quality O+3 grade cows ranged from 280-300p/kg in beef factories in Northern Ireland this week.
- The average NI steer price increased by a penny to 391.8p/kg, with the R3 steer price up 1.3p/kg to 402.2p/kg. In the same week last year, the R3 steer price was 365.8p/kg, 36.4p/kg behind current levels.
- Meanwhile, the average NI heifer price was up 0.9p/kg to 394.4p/kg, with the R3 heifer price falling 0.2p/kg to 400.6p/kg. In the corresponding week in 2020, the R3 heifer price was 365.9p/kg, 34.7p/kg behind current levels.
- Last week, the average young bull price in NI was up 3.0p/kg to 382.7p/kg, while the R3 young bull price was up 2.5p/kg to 392.7p/kg.
- The deadweight cow trade in NI remained steady. The average cow price was up 1.4p/kg to 281.8p/kg and the O3 cow price rose by 1.7p/kg to 315.6p/kg.
Throughput and exports
Throughput of prime cattle plants across Northern Ireland last week totalled 7,056 head, up 294 head compared to the previous week.
This is also an increase of 207 head from the 6,849 prime cattle processed in the same week last year.
On the other hand, throughput in NI last week totalled 2,175 head, a marginal decrease compared to the previous week.
Exports and imports
Imports of prime cattle from ROI for direct slaughter in NI plants last week totalled 338 head with 165 cows also imported.
Meanwhile, there continues to be no cattle imports from GB for direct slaughter in NI plants.
Meanwhile, exports from NI to ROI consisted of no prime cattle and 40 cows. A further 19 prime cattle and six cows were exported out of NI for direct slaughter in GB.
Beef prices in GB
- Last week, the average steer price in GB was 411.7p/kg, up 0.4p/kg from the previous week, while the R3 steer price remained steady at 417.1p/kg. “This places the R3 steer price in GB at 14.9p/kg above the same price in NI,” the LMC remarked.
- Last week the average heifer price in GB fell 0.6p/kg to 409.8p/kg, with the R3 heifer price up 0.3p/kg to 418p/kg. “This places the R3 heifer price in GB 17.4p/kg above the same price in NI,” the LMC pointed out.
- Meanwhile, the GB cow trade “remained under pressure,” with all grades back from the previous week.
- The average cow price was back 6.5p/kg to 279.4p/kg, while the O3 cow price was 306.7p/kg, back 4.6p/kg from the previous week.
View more beef price updates.