Monday, June 27, 2022
12.5 C
Galway
HomeFarming NewsAnimal feed company fined over €150,000 after employee injured
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnanehttps://www.thatsfarming.com/
Catherina Cunnane hails from a fifth-generation drystock and specialised pedigree suckler enterprise in Co. Mayo. She currently holds the positions of editor and general manager at That's Farming, having joined the company in 2015.
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Animal feed company fined over €150,000 after employee injured

A UK-based animal feed processing company has been fined following an incident where part of an employee’s arm was severed by a moving conveyor.

Hi Peak Feeds Limited of Sheffield Road, Killamarsh, Derbyshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

The firm was handed a £140,000 (approximately €153,750) fine and ordered to pay costs of £2,591.30 (approximately €2,845.95).

A court heard how on December 9th, 2018, the employee had opened the inspection hatch on a closed conveyor in order to clear a blockage at the site in Killamarsh, Derbyshire.

The conveyor started unexpectedly, severing the employee’s right arm below the elbow.

Blockages cleared in ‘unsafe’ manner

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company did not have a documented safe system of work for clearing these blockages which occurred on a recurrent basis on this conveyor as well as others at the site.

This meant there was no reference, no training material or procedure that could be monitored, as a result, different practices developed over time, the court heard.

The company did not appear to be aware that blockages were cleared in this unsafe manner.

Had a suitable and sufficient risk assessment been completed, the company should have identified that there was a risk to employees created by intervention in the machine when blockage clearance was required and developed appropriate instruction, training and information related to the task, the court head.

‘Incident could so easily have been avoided’

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Lindsay Bentley said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided through the implementation of a safe system of work involving effective plant isolation and adherence to safe working practices.”

- Advertisment -

Most Popular