Friday, December 2, 2022
8.7 C
Galway
HomeFarming News6,000 chickens killed in farm shed fire
Reading Time: 2 minutes

6,000 chickens killed in farm shed fire

Approximately 6,000 chickens have been killed after a fire broke out in a large farm shed in Co. Tyrone. 

The incident occurred at approximately 10:37pm last night (Sunday, September 13th) on the Crosscavanagh Road in Dungannon.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Northern Ireland Fire and Reserve Service (NIFRS), said: “Eight appliances from Dungannon Fire Station, Pomeroy Fire Station, Cookstown Fire Station, Portadown Fire Station, Lisburn Fire Station and Dungiven Fire Station attended the incident including an aerial appliance, a water tanker and a command support unit.”

“Firefighters worked hard in challenging conditions to prevent the fire spreading and used three jets to extinguish the blaze.”

“Approximately 6,000 chickens were killed in the incident. The cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental ignition and the incident was dealt with by 2.33am on Monday, September 14th.” the spokesperson concluded.

2,000 pigs killed

Meanwhile, up to 2,000 pigs were killed and one male has been injured after a fire broke out on a farm in Co. Down on Monday, September 7th, as reported by us here.

At 8.54pm, firefighters were called to a fire involving a large farm shed on the Carrigenagh Road in Kilkeel.

In a statement, a spokesperson for A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) Spokesperson said: “4 Fire Appliances attended the incident- 2 from Kilkeel Fire Station, 1 from Newcastle Fire Station, 1 from Warrenpoint Fire Station, along with the animal rescue team, a command support unit and a water tanker.”

“Firefighters worked in difficult conditions to prevent the fire spreading to adjacent buildings, however, it is believed that approximately 1500 – 2000 pigs have perished as result of the blaze.”

“One male casualty suffered minor burns during the incident.”

The fire was brought under control by 11:50 pm and the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental ignition, the spokesperson confirmed.

File photo

- Advertisment -

Most Popular