Macra members will be invited to elect a new national president for the 2021-2023 term in the coming weeks, as the 38th Macra presidential race begins.
Simultaneously, elections in Munster, the north-west and Leinster regions of Macra will elect vice-presidents for the 2021-2023 term.
The young farmers and rural youth body’s biannual national elections take place in April this year.
Key dates: 38th Macra presidential race
Macra na Feirme has announced its key dates for this year’s elections:
- February 10th – Issue of nomination papers to clubs
- March 3rd – Nominations close
- March 17th – Issue of ballot papers
- April 7th – Election Count of ballot papers
President Thomas Duffy said: “Election season is always an exciting time for Macra na Feirme. Obviously this year, our elections and events have had to have some changes to allow for compliance with restrictions.”
“To account for these unusual times, a schedule of events has been planned virtually to offer members an opportunity to hear from candidates.”
A club wishing to nominate a candidate must complete the nomination form and have it signed by the club secretary, who must be registered at National Office. The proposed candidate completes the form also indicating his/her willingness to go forward for election.
This nomination form is then sent to national office.
About Macra na Feirme
The rural youth organisation is a “thriving community” representing 10,000 young 17-35-years-old from 170 clubs in rural Ireland. It says it advocates for, nurture and develops members in a “fun, inclusive and supportive” environment.
The mission of Macra na Feirme is to contribute to the sustainable development of rural communities in Ireland by:
- Supporting the social, economic, cultural, personal development and well-being of young people who have a rural connection, including young farmers.
- Representing their interests in the development and implementation of relevant policies, products, programmes, and services at national, regional and local levels and by advocating on their behalf.