An Garda Síochana has issued a list of its ten golden rules of online shopping.
Customers are being urged to shop online safely and to protect their financial and personal details.
10 golden rules:
- Buy from trusted sources – Use brands and shops that you are familiar with;
- Understand risk and think twice before purchasing – Make sure you understand the risks of buying online;
- Check the seller’s reviews and ratings – Especially of unknown stores and individual sellers;
- Ensure data transfer is secure – Use HTTPS and SSL protocols when browsing the internet. Remember: the padlock symbol alone does not make a website legitimate;
- Save all documents related to online purchases – They may be needed to establish the terms and conditions of the sale or to prove that you have paid for the goods;
- If you do not make a purchase, do not leave identity or card details behind;
- Check the website payment security – Only do your online shopping on websites that use full authentication systems (such as Verified by Visa/ MasterCard Secure Code);
- Never send card details by email, text, or other messaging methods – Never send a copy of your card, your card number, PIN, or any other card information to anyone by email;
- Do not send money to someone you do not know – check first – If you would not give money to a random person on the street, do not do it on the internet. If possible, reserve the right to receive the goods first;
- Use credit cards when purchasing online – Most credit cards have a strong customer protection policy. If you do not get what you ordered, the card issuer will refund you.