Balla Mart – Cattle Prices – 01-10-2022
Prices reached €3,250 at Balla Mart’s general cattle sale on 01-10-2022.
That is according to Stephen Hannon, general manager of Aurivo Marts and manager of Balla Mart, who reported that over 1,000 cattle changed hands at its most recent sale.
The mart held its 50th-anniversary bullock sale, in conjunction with its general weekly cattle sale, which also saw a special entry of 22 in-calf heifers from a local farmer come under the hammer.
Hannon reported that “there were some exceptional prices paid with many buyers saying cattle were dearer than last week because farmers were strong”.
“There was a special sale of 22 incalf heifers by a Ballyglass, Claremorris farmer, and they met with some great buying with prices from €1,950-€3,250.”
In the bullock ring, stores in the 400kg to 500kg weight bracket averaged €2.81/kg, while heavier types 500kg + levelled out at €2.84p/kg.
Hannon reported that the sale topper in this ring was a 685kg Limousin at €2,270.
In ring two, heifers up to 400 kg averaged €2.58/kg, while those in the 400kg to 500kg levelled at €2.65/kg and heavy heifers 500+ came in at 2.71/kg.
Prices reached €1,780 in this ring, which was recorded for a 555kg Belgian Blue-cross, while a lighter Limousin heifer made €1,660 or €3.49/kg.
Cull cow prices
Finally, ring three provided some of the highest prices on the day, both across the cull cow and suckler sections.
Topping the cull cow price table was a 2015-born 825kg BAX at €2,550, while a 755kg BB changed hands for €2,400 or €3.18/kg.
Meanwhile, in the suckler ring, returns hit highs of €3,250 – a price that was paid for a Limousin-cross in-calf heifer, as previously featured on That’s Farming.
A local farmer put a consignment of 22 Limousin, Charolais, Belgian Blue and Blonde d’Aquitaine in-calf commercial breeding females under the hammer.
Prices ranged from €1,950 upwards, with several lots hitting and crossing the €3,000 and a full clearance recorded.
At €3,250 was a 750kg Limousin-cross, born in 2020 and AI’d to EBY in April of this year.
Tune into our Facebook page for more videos of cull cows and sucklers.
Balla Mart information:
- Address: Aurivo Balla Mart, Carrowntober, Oughter, Co. Mayo
- Contact information: Phone: 094-9365068 or see Aurivo’s website.
- Sale days: Weanlings: Tuesdays. Bullocks, heifers, cull cows, sucklers, and stock bulls on Saturdays with rings as follows:
- 1: Bullocks at 10:30 am Saturday ringside and online.
- 2: Heifers at 10:30 am Saturday ringside and online
- 3: Dry cows/breeding bulls & springers at 10:45 am/11 am ringside and online.
Tuesday weanling sales (Certain times of year):
- Ring 1: Bull weanlings at 10:30 am Tuesday ringside and online.
- Ring 2: Heifer weanlings at 10:45 am Tuesday ringside and online.
- Intake time 07:00 am to 09:30 am on Saturdays. 08:00 am to 09:30 am on Tuesdays.
- That’s Farming previously profiled Stephen Hannon, general manager of Aurivo Marts and manager of Balla Mart – Read this article with Stephen Hannon.
- Read more mart reports(cattle and sheep prices) on That’s Farming.