Electric Ireland has announced the launch of a new solar energy offering for the farming sector.
The Solar PV technology will help farms to reduce electricity bills and carbon footprint and increase the energy efficiency of on-farm operations, according to the energy provider.
The product is another commitment by Electric Ireland, as part of its Brighter Together Energy Programme launched earlier this year.
Electric Ireland’s Solar PV installations can help power energy-intensive operations on farms, such as milking parlours with 100% renewable energy.
Farms can also avail of diverters to heat water on-site using solar energy and install a battery storage system to ensure no renewable energy is wasted.
The Solar PV roof-top installations are available for farms of all sizes ranging with options from 6kWp up to 50kWp.
For farmers, who opt to include storage, Electric Ireland will install German-made industry-leading Sonnen batteries.
Farms will also benefit from an accompanying solar energy monitoring app which provides real-time stats on their energy use.
Finally, installations also come with an additional 10% discount for Electric Ireland energy customers.
Energy and cost savings for farms
Marguerite Sayers, executive director, Electric Ireland said:
“Electric Ireland is delighted to launch this new solar solution for the agricultural sector. This product will deliver energy and cost savings to farms of all sizes, while also helping to reduce their carbon footprint with 100% clean renewable energy.”
“We know our customers are looking to make sustainable choices and they want their energy provider to help them through innovative solutions.”
“Electric Ireland is the only supplier in the market offering an interest-free payment plan. We want to help farms realise the value of this technology and to improve their sustainability and energy efficiency.”
Pat Maher, Kilkenny
Pat Maher from Tullaroan in Kilkenny is one of the first adapters of the Electric Ireland Solar PV product for Irish farms.
“Having the solar panels installed has helped me manage my energy usage effectively and switch to using green energy.” he explained.
“The panels, which sit above a shed on my farm, were installed quickly and easily. I’ve also been able to track energy usage with the energy monitoring app which has been a great asset.”
Furthermore, according to Electric Ireland, its Brighter Together Energy Programme continues to offer customers:
- Firstly, an EV home charger installation service enabling EV customers to charge their cars most efficiently, at home.
- A new climate-conscious partnership with leading Electric Vehicle (EV) retailer, Nissan Ireland. Every purchase of a new Nissan LEAF, LEAF Van or e-NV200, will come with a free Electric Ireland EV home charger. Electric Ireland will fit the charger when customers choose its 100% green electricity price plan, which comes with the additional benefit of an enduring discount of up to 8.5% off Electric Ireland’s standard unit rates.
- Ireland’s only heat pump price plan with a cheaper unit rate for customers with a heat pump in their homes.
- A range of Remote Heating Controls to help reduce energy consumption.
- Access to an Energy Efficiency Incentive Scheme which provides incentives to complete energy efficiency measures within the home (over €4.2 million worth of energy credit has been redeemed through the scheme to date) and;
- Lastly, a wealth of educational energy-saving content and advice on the Electric Ireland Brighter Together hub.