The Association of Farm & Forestry Contractors in Ireland (FCI) has included slurry and muck spreading prices in its FCI Contracting Charges Guide for 2021.
This year’s guide sees contractors quoting an average of a 4% increase in charges. The association has linked price hikes to meeting some increases in costs of machinery, insurance and labour that have been experienced by members, since the beginning of 2020.
The FCI said that it is satisfied that this averaged price guide continues to “provide fair and reasonable guidance” for both farm and forestry contractors and their client farmers.
It stressed that actual prices may “vary considerably” between regions, distance travelled, size of contract undertaken, size and type of equipment used, amount of product applied etc.
Also, the FCI said it is aware that many contractors make individual arrangements with clients regarding diesel.
The guide charges “do not reflect this market trend and such agreements may make a significant difference” to contracting charges.
120hp tractor €55/hour
An FCI tractor cost analysis has shown that a 120hp modern tractor will require a minimum rate of €55 per hour in order to cover the operating and labour costs, irrespective of work undertaken. added.
The association believes 55% of that hourly cost is accounted for by labour and diesel costs, with 25% allocated to maintenance, repairs costs, fuel and insurance costs, giving a very tight operating margin.
Slurry and muck spreading prices 2021:
Prices are based on green diesel at 70 cent/litre, according to the association. Prices are shown as GUIDE ONLY, PLUS VAT at 13.5% and per area or per hour & include operator, unless otherwise stated.
- Muck loading wheeled loader – €66-70/hr;
- Spreading – flail – €50-55/hr;
- Muck spreading – 10 tonne – €66-70/hr;
- Spreading – 14 tonne – €88-95/hr;
- Loading and spreading – 12 tonne spreader – €133-136/hr;
- 14 tonne dual/rear discharge spreader and loader – €155-160/hr;
- Agitation – €95-100/hr;
- Slurry spreading – 1500-gal tanker – €€50/hr;
- Spreading – 2500 + gal tanker – €66-70/hr
- Slurry spreading – 3000 + gal tanker – €90-95/hr
- Umbilical spreading (set up charge – laying out & reeling in €100/hr) – €155-160/hr;
- Trailing shoe – 2500 + gal tanker – €88-93/hr.