A spokesperson for Glencolmcille Agricultural Show outlines some of the main attractions at this year’s event on Sunday, August 6th, 2023.
The Glencolmcille Agricultural Show, in County Donegal, proudly sponsored by Byrne’s Foodstores Glencolmcille and Carrick, takes place on Sunday, August 6th, 2023.
With a diverse range of events and activities planned, from the judging of livestock, crafts and produce to the pet dog show and the best-dressed lady and gent competition, there will be something for everyone to enjoy.
The Glencolmcille Agricultural Show is a cherished annual tradition that brings together farmers, families, and visitors from all around to showcase the finest in livestock, crafts, produce, and much more.
This year, the show committee has put together an exciting line-up of events to ensure a day of fun, competition, and camaraderie.
Glencolmcille Agricultural Show 2023
The Glencolmcille Agricultural Show is not just about competitions and displays; it is a fantastic day out for the whole family.
There will be an abundance of activities for children and adults alike, including a wide variety of stalls and entertainment with the Donegal Dancers, Retro and The Minertones.
Attractions include classes for cattle, sheep, horses, ponies, donkeys, and poultry, along with trade stalls, craft and produce, children’s activities, a dog show and on-site catering and a bar.
One of the highlights will be the Wild Atlantic Calf Championship, sponsored by O’Reilly O’Byrne Construction, with a prize fund of €600. The competition is open to male and female calves born from January 2023 onwards.
The first-prize winner will secure €300, with €150 for 2nd, €75 for 3rd, €45 for 4th and €30 for 5th.
Meanwhile, there is €500 of a cash pot up for grabs in class 9 – best breeding heifer with €300 for 1st, 125 for 2nd and €75 for 3rd.
Moreover, we will also host the Irish Shows’ Association and Department of Agriculture, Food, and the Marine’s Breeder’s Choice Continental 4 or 5-Star Breeding Heifer competition, which is open to continental animals that meet the above criteria and are suitable to make a suckler cow.
€500 is up for grabs with €250 for 1st, €125 for second, €75 for 3rd and €50 for 4-8th.
Meanwhile, in the sheep section the following cups are up for grabs:
- The Melville Maxwell Cup for the Best Black-Faced Ewe Lamb;
- Dinny Maguire Memorial Cup for the Best Black-Faced Ram Lamb;
- Charlie Fuller Memorial Cup for the Overall Champion Confined in BlackFaced Sheep Class;
- Corn Buan Taispeantas Talmhaiochta Ghleann Cholm Cille for the Best Overall Hill Sheep;
- Lar Chomhairle Paroiste Ghleann Cholm Cille Cup for Best Crossbred Ewe Lamb;
- Texaco Cup for the Champion Black-Faced;
- K Style Cup for the Champion Crossbred;
- Corn Cuimhneacháin Connie Uí Dhochartaigh for the Champion Cheviot;
- The Heekin Cup sponsored by John Heekin for the Champion Mayo Mountain;
- The Donnchadh O’Gara Memorial Cup for the Champion Swaledale;
- The Naomh Columba Cup for the Champion Lanark;
- The Dunross Breeders Cup for the Overall Champion Texel sponsored by Noel Heekin » The Stone Monkey Construction Cup for the Best Rare Breed;
- The Séan Martin Memorial Cup sponsored by the Irish Valais Blacknose Sheep Society for the best Valais Blacknose.
Horses & ponies:
- Charlie and Mona Vial Cup for the Overall Champion Horse;
- Charlie Deane Memorial Cup for the Overall Champion Pony;
- McGroartys Fuels Cup for Best Overall Connemara Pony.
We will have a best-dressed lady and gent competition, with a €100 voucher in each respective category.
The show committee wishes to extend its gratitude to the sponsors, volunteers, and everyone whose unwavering support makes this event possible.
We have a number of prizes up for grabs as part of our 2023 Glencolmcille Agricultural Show Grand Draw, with winners to be drawn on show night.
The first prize is a heifer or €1,500 in cash, while our second price is a one-night stay for two people in Clanree Hotel, and the third prize-winner will receive a €200 voucher for Donegal Oil.
Come one, come all, to The Glencolmcille Agricultural Show, where tradition, community spirit, and rural excellence converge for an unforgettable day of festivities!
For more information and to stay updated on event schedules, follow Glencolmcille Agricultural Show on Instagram and Facebook.