Friday, July 1, 2022
11.2 C
Galway
HomeFarming NewsDairy-bred bull calf births declining in NI
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnanehttps://www.thatsfarming.com/
Catherina Cunnane hails from a fifth-generation drystock and specialised pedigree suckler enterprise in Co. Mayo. She currently holds the positions of editor and general manager at That's Farming, having joined the company in 2015.
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Dairy-bred bull calf births declining in NI

Dairy bull calves: NI registrations

Figures show that the number of dairy-sired bull calves continues to fall in Northern Ireland.

According to data the LMC (Livestock and Meat Commission) obtained, from January to April 2022, dairy sired male calf registrations amounted to 17,394 head.

This accounted for 31.5% of the total dairy sired calf registrations, down 20.4% or 4,452 head from the same period last year.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the LMC said: “This indicates a continuation in the trend in which the number of dairy-sired male calves is declining.”

“This indicates greater success from sexed semen to breed replacement heifers,” the spokesperson noted.

Calf registrations in Northern Ireland

Meanwhile, according to the LMC (Livestock and Meat Commission), from January to April 2022, farmers registered a total of 191,823 calves on Northern Irish farms.

This is back 4,078 head or 2.1% from 2021 levels when farmers registered 195,901 calves during the same period.

Beef sired calf registrations on Northern Irish farms during the first four months of 2022 have amounted to 136,632 head. According to the LMC, this is back 1,847 head or 1.3% from 2021 levels.

Furthermore, beef sired calf registrations accounted for 71.2% of the total calves farmers registered in Northern Ireland. The LMC confirmed that the remaining 28.8% of calves were dairy sired.

This is similar to figures from the same period last year. 70.7% of calf registrations were beef sired, and the remaining 29.3% were dairy sired.

Beef sired calf registrations to suckler cows during the first four months of 2022 fell by 1,830 head or by 2.3% from 2021 levels.

Registrations to suckler cows accounted for 58% of total beef sired calf registrations during this period.

Beef sired calf registrations to dairy cows in 2022 marginally increased by 0.3% or 146 head from the first four months of the previous year. These calves accounted for the remaining 42% of beef sired registrations.

Other articles on That’s Farming:

- Advertisment -

Most Popular