Report: Hereford Bull Prices at Kilkenny Mart
Hereford bulls levelled at €3,000 at the society’s annual April sale at Kilkenny Mart on Wednesday, April 7th, 2022.
According to a spokesperson for the Irish Hereford Breed Society, 25 of the initial 36 bulls catalogued turned out for sale.
Of the 25 bulls, 21 changed hands, which gave rise to a clearance rate of 85%. Of those bulls that were sold, 65% made the average sale price or over.
Furthermore, the spokesperson noted that 25% of bulls fetched over the €4,000 mark.
Top of the price ranks at €4,000 was lot 175 – Ballinalick Braveheart from Willie Duff, Tipperary.
The September-2020-born “traditional-style bull” is by Ballinalick Galaxy and bred a Trillick Hotspur dam.
Albert De Cogen, who officiated as the pre-sale judge, tapped out lot 164, from Kilkenny man, Tom Brennan, as his champion.
Balleen Document, by Balleen Achiever, has five stars for the replacement index and milk along with four stars for terminal index. This May-2020-born bull found a new owner at €3,700.
The reserve champion on the day came in the form of lot 180 – Boveen Upton, from Joe O’Connor, Offaly.
This September-2020-born bull, by a Cill Cormaic Kasper son and from a home-bred Boveen cow, made €3,000.
The Boveen Herefords returned to the ring with their second lot, Boveen Uibh Fhaili, which they secured €3,400 for.
This September-2020-born bull is by the same Cill Cormaic Kasper again – Ballyvlinngold Captain and a Corran Hill Classic dam and has a four-star replacement index and carcass figure.
Kilkenny breeder; Christy Finn of Bawngarriff Herefords, continued the county’s winning streak when he secured €3,500 for October-2020-born Bawngarriff Douglas Seven.
This Cill Cormaic Kasper son is bred from a Cavehill Storm granddaughter and has five stars for both the terminal index and carcase conformation, along with four stars for both the replacement index and milk.
Finn’s next lot into the ring at Kilkenny, Bawngarriff Douglas Eight, found a new owner at €3,400.
By Forestview Douglas also, a Cill Cormaic Kasper son, and a Kilsunny Goliath dam, he has a four-star terminal and replacement index.
Lot 185 – Knockduffpoll 1 Dan 2 – an October-2020-born bull – changed hands for €3,400 on the day.
Bred by Mairead Curtis and Michael Jones of Knockduff Herefords, Wexford, he is by Gageboro Morgan and from a Rathcor Ranger dam.
Meanwhile, they returned to the ring to sell their second lot, Knockduffpoll 1 Kevin, for €3,100.
Knockduffpoll 1 Kevin is by Gageboro Morgan and bred from a Glaslough Esquire dam.
Other Hereford bull prices:
- €3,350 for second-prize-winning Galballypoll 1 Realspice 1600 by Gouldingpoll 1 Gold Spice and bred from a Dorepoll 1 93n Transatlantic dam;
- €3,100 for Ballyraggan Understudy 1015th, an April-2020-born bull by Airhill Oisin and a Border Rory dam;
- Same price tag: Listeolin Major by Conmelvin Ollie and from a Kilsunny Goliath dam;
- €3,050: October-2020-born Mount Shannon Rusty by Trillick George a Woodview dam;
- The final bull sold for €3000 on the day was lot 186 – Macmine Benny, who was bred by Niall Jones, Wexford. This bull is a Gageboro Morgan, son and bred from an Airhill dam. Benny has five stars for both carcase conformation and milk.
Premier Hereford show & sale at GVM Tullamore Mart:
- €3,340: Average sale price;
- 75% of bulls sold for over €3000;
- 25% bulls sold for over €4000;
- 75% sale clearance.