The Department of Health and the HSE have released a video on how to protect yourself from Covid-19 and how it can be contracted.
The following is information outlined in the video about Covid-19:
- Covid-19 is a respiratory illness, transmitted from person to person through droplets from an infected person coughing or sneezing;
- People catch the virus from contact with the droplets;
- Close contact includes having been with 2-metres of a confirmed case for at least 15 minutes or living in the same household as a confirmed case;
- Covid-19 can also be transmitted through touching a surface that has the virus on it and then touching your own mouth, eyes or nose;
- The best way to prevent Covid-19 is to practise good hygiene;
- Good hygiene includes washing your hands frequently with soap and water. This is just as effective as using sanitizer;
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing and discard the tissue immediately into a bin and wash your hands;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands;
- Leave at least 1-metre (3 feet) between yourself and other people, particularly those who are coughing, sneezing and have a fever;
- The use of a facemask is not required and there is no evidence to suggest that it protects people who are well.
For more information on Covid-19, click here.
Video source: Department of Health Youtube