Washing your hands regularly is one of the key measures recommended by health organisations to limit the contraction and spread of Covid-19.
The Health Service Executive (HSE) has published a video to demonstrate the correct way to wash your hands and protect yourself from the virus.
Their advice is as follows:
- Wet hands and apply enough soap to cover all surfaces of the hands;
- Let the water run smoothly, to avoid touching the tap later on;
- Rub hands, palm to palm, to obtain a good quantity of foam;
- Rub the right palm over the back of the left hand with interlaced fingers. Repeat for the right hand;
- Rub again palm to palm with fingers interlaced;
- Rub the back of your fingers to opposing palms with fingers interlocked, repeating for each hand;
- Rub rotationally each thumb clasped in the opposite hand;
- To clean the tips of the fingers, rub rotationally backwards and forwards with clasped fingers;
- Rinse hands thoroughly with running water;
- Dry hands thoroughly with a single-use towel;
- If the tap cannot be elbow operated, use this towel to turn off the tap without touching it directly.