Roscommon brothers, Martin (17) and Shane (15) Glennon, students of Garbally College, Ballinasloe, have raised over €50,000 for charity.
They recently held a virtual tractor run and a local parade of tractors to honour the memory of their mother. Cathy Glennon passed away on October 8th following a six-week cancer battle.
The boys set out to raise €5,000 in aid of Irish Cancer Society, Galway Hospice and Mayo/Roscommon Hospice.
Driving on for Cathy
However, they were quickly overwhelmed by the response to their campaign and the generosity of all who have supported them, not only from their own parish, but from all over the country and from abroad too.
To date, the figure raised is €53,000 – you can donate by clicking here.
Martin said: “We never expected to raise this amount for the cancer charities; we can’t believe it. We are incredibly grateful to everyone who got behind us in any way.”
“Thanks to our family, our community of Moore and Pearses and mam’s in Aughrim, our school and to everyone for posting pictures and donating money.”
The virtual Driving on for Cathy saw people posting short videos and pictures of their tractors from Vietnam, Boston, Australia, Spain and Switzerland to posts from all over Ireland.
“The posts kept us all going. We want to thank all the businesses who donated prizes and generous contributions.”
“Above all, we would like to commend the farming and rural community who embraced our fundraiser. There is no one better than farmers to get behind you and support.” the boys remarked.
The money raised will make a difference this year to cancer services. “It would be a nice Christmas present if we could deliver €20,000 to each of the three charities.”
He also said: “Even though we are in a pandemic, cancer is also a pandemic. During the last few weeks, so many have come forward and told us how cancer has affected their families. No family seems to escape it, or if not, it might be around the corner.”
Online charity auction
The boys are going to drive their campaign further with an online-only charity auction later this month. Auctioneer, Denis A Barrett, will host the auction on December 29th at 7 pm. Anyone intending to bid must register on denisbarrett.com.
The closing date for registration is midday on December 29th.
“Some businesses and farmers donated some absolute great prizes. We are hoping anyone interested might be able to grab a bargain while supporting this worthy cause.”
Some of the lots include:
- 20 x 50kg bags of Sweetgrass fertiliser, (Sponsored by Goulding Chemicals Ltd)
- 1-hour photoshoot plus images (Sponsored by Agri Images)
- 2 x 20L Super tractor oil, (Sponsored by Corrib Oil)
- 20 x 25kg bags of Beef Nuts, (Sponsored by Arrabawn Co-op),
- 10 x Heavy duty 10-metre ratchet straps (Sponsored by Ancor Lifting Services)
- 10 x 20kg bags of turf, (Sponsored by Michael McManus, Nure)
- 007 – x10 round bales of silage, (Sponsored by Sean Brady, Newtown)
- X2 calf jackets, (Sponsored by JFC Agri)
- x2 large bags of timber, (Sponsored by Kenny Butler, Carpentry),
- X1 house nameplate, (Sponsored by Curley Stone)
Other lots include:
- X1 200 Gallon Concrete Drinking Trough, (Sponsored by Kelly’s Precast Concrete Ltd)
- Roll of silage wrap, (Sponsored by M & J Dunning Contractors)
- 10 x 1 Tonne bags of facing stone, (Sponsored by Mike Kelly Stone Roscommon
- X20 25kg bags of Beef Nuts, (Sponsored by Aurivo),
- X1 lorry load of stone, (Sponsored by Mannion Quarries)
- X1 bathroom suite plus tiles, (Sponsored by Matrix Bathrooms & Heating), (Tiles sponsored by Loughrea Tile & Bath)
- X1 Simmental embryo, Dam: Celtic Dancer, Sire: Kilbride Farm Delboy, (Sponsored by Rathlee Simmentals (Gerry Lenehan); stored at Vet Embryos, will be transferred free of charge)
- 5 A.I. straws of CSQ – Crossmolina Euro & 5 A.I. Straws of MBP – Milbrook Dartangan ET), (Sponsored by the Dovea Genetics sales team)
- X1 commercial show embryo, Dam: Simmental-cross-Belgian-Blue Sire: TVR, (Sponsored by Martin Regan & Family, Clonfad, Ballyhaunis & stored at Vet Embryos)
- X1 Simmental embryo, Dam: Fearna Regal, Sire: Anatrim Bodybuilder (Stored at Bovi Genetics), (Sponsored by Fearna / Limehill Simmentals & all the Neenan Family).