Kilkenny Mart held its weekly cattle sale, consisting of some 1,150 entries, on Thursday (October 15th), according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer noted that while the sale was smaller, there was “good” demand for forward store continental bullocks and beef-types.
“Buyers were more selective compared to other weeks. Plain heifers were more difficult to sell. The heifer trade was a bit more challenging except for the top-quality continental with good conformation. Cull cows remained a steady trade.”
- 600kgs+ – €1.80-€2.40/kg or €980-€1,670/head;
- 500-600kgs – €1.70-€2.40/kg or €770-€1,250/head;
- 400-500kgs – €1.65-€2.55/kg or €650-€1,190/head;
- <400kgs – €1.70-€2.40/kg or €580-€870/head.
- Beef-types – €1.70-€2.35/kg or €1,010-€1,460/head;
- Forward stores – €1.70-€2.30/kg or €800-€1,100/head;
- Light store heifers – €1.70-€2.75/kg or €650-€1,050/head.
- Cows with calves at foot – €1,300-€1,600/unit.
- Friesians – €0.85-€1.65/kg;
- Continentals – €1.20-€2.05/kg.