A fire at R&H Hall grain store in Co. Cork has been brought under control.
A blaze broke out at the Ringaskiddy Deepwater Berth earlier this morning (Saturday, January 9th). The alarm was raised shortly after 8am.
Multiple units from Cork County Fire Brigade and units from the National Ambulance Service attended the scene of the incident.
Fire at R&H Hall grain store
In a statement on Twitter, shortly after 9:30am, a spokesperson for Pork of Cork said: “A fire has broken out at the R&H Hall grain store on the Ringaskiddy Deepwater Berth.”
“Emergency Services are on-site and the Port Emergency Plan has been activated. Local residents are advised to keep all doors and windows closed and remain indoors.”
In an updated statement shortly before 11am, the spokesperson said: “We can confirm that a fire which broke out at a grain storage facility on the Ringaskiddy Deepwater Berth is now under control & there are no reports of any casualties.”
“Emergency services remain on-site to monitor the area. Ship operations in Ringaskiddy have been suspended.”
In a tweet, Cork Safety Alerts said: “Ambulance and Fire Brigade are now on scene tackling the blaze in Ringaskiddy.”
“According to @RingaskiddyRA, Hall’s Grain Stores is what is on fire. Residents have been advised to keep windows and doors closed.”
Ringadkiddy & District Residents Association issued the following statement on Facebook: “Port of Cork have advised that the fire has spread from one animal feed bay to another two.”
“Although contained, fire services have taken the decision to enter and extinguish as opposed to letting the fire burn itself out (which could take days).”
“They also advised that the HSA have been alerted. The wind direction has changed, and they advised that there will be a lot more smoke.”
“It is imperative that residents remain indoors and keep windows and doors closed. Port of Cork have confirmed that it is animal feed that is burning; there are no toxins in the air and that there is no asbestos in the building.”
“As the wind changes to NW, this will bring more smoke towards the village. The Resident’s Association will maintain contact with POC and should further updates or advice be supplied, it will be posted here.”