“What happens next is up to each and every one of us. Show your support for our healthcare staff, show your support for everyone who is working in essential services or looking after vulnerable citizens. Show that you care for your family and friends. Stay at home.”
Those were the words of an Taoiseach when he addressed the nation last night (Friday, March 27th).
Further Covid-19 restrictions came into effect at midnight last night and will remain in place until April 18th, when they will be “subject to review”.
During the briefing, the Fine Gael leader said that “everybody must stay at home in all circumstances” except for the following situations”:
- To travel to and from work where the work is considered an essential service – The full list of essential workers will be published today (Saturday, March 28th);
- To attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products for yourself, your family or someone who is vulnerable or cocooning;
- For vital family reasons including caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people but excluding social family visits;
- To take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2-kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2-metre social distancing measures;
- You cannot arrange a gathering with anybody you do not live with;
- Cocooning will be introduced for those over 70 years of age and those who are extremely medically vulnerable to COVID-19.
He reminded the public that this is the best way to minimise the risk of coronavirus to friends, families and communities.
He confirmed that farming activities – food production and the care of animals – are exempt from the latest Government restrictions.
In a tweet this morning, Leo Varadkar, said: “No need to do all shopping or stockpile this morning.”
“Food stores and takeaways staying open in the emergency. The 2km is about exercising locally.”
“You can go beyond the 2km to buy food and medicines. The supplies are good. We all have a part to play in rising to this challenge.” the tweet concluded.