The following video, produced by FRS, advises farmers how they can stay safe when working with cattle:
- Prepare in advance;
- Ensure you have all equipment ready and gates set up;
- Keep a barrier between you and the animal;
- Always plan an alternate escape route;
- Cattle can be startled by movement in their peripheral vision – Let them know you are approaching;
- Wear PPE and suitable footwear;
- Take your time – mistakes happen when you rush;
- Have extra help – Never move or handle cattle alone;
- Keep the yard clean to reduce trip hazards;
- Be vigilant for signs of aggression;
- Don’t think it won’t be you – Accidents happen all the time.
For further information about FRS, click here.