“One of the finest country houses in Ireland” set on 21-acres is on the market for €975,000.
DNG McCormack Quinn is handling the sale of Coollattin House, Shillelagh, Co. Wicklow.
Architect, John Carr of York, built the detached five-bay two-storey over basement Georgian Mansion in 1804 for the Fitzwilliams.
First and foremost, the house is finished with lined render with ashlar granite dressings, according to the selling agent. To the south front elevation, there is a pedimented three-bay breakfront with a carved heraldic shield to the tympanum.
Furthermore, to the west and rear, there is a later service wing and a range of outbuildings. The part-glazed front door has a radial fanlight and is set within a flat-headed opening. It is framed with two free-standing Tuscan order columns, which support a wide pediment.
Also, window openings are flat-headed with six-over-six-timber sash frames; louvred external shutters were added c.1970. The hipped roof is finished with natural slate and cast-iron rainwater goods.
The chimney stacks are rendered with corbelled caps and clay pots. The house is set within a large well-wooded demesne surrounded by Coollattin Golf course and is for sale standing on circa 21-acres of parklands.
“Early history of Coollattin recounts that it was originally part of the ‘Lands of Cosha’, the hereditary lands of the Byrne family.”
“It changed hands both peaceably and forcibly over the centuries, coming into the possession of Thomas Wentworth, First Earl of Strafford and Lord Deputy of Ireland under Charles 1.”
“Wentworth bought Coollattin in 1637 as part of his total holding of ten-thousand acres which he called ‘Fairwood’.”
“The property, which had extensive woodland, was used by Wentworth as a deer park. Wentworth, as Lord Deputy and as a kind of proto-land developer for the English exchequer, reflects the relationship that existed between the two countries.”
“Wentworth’s actions. as Charles’ ‘ablest’ advisor, made him one of the most unpopular men in England. “Wentworth’s enemies eventually brought a charge of High Treason against him. This resulted in his execution at the Tower of London in 1641.”
The Fitzwilliam family acquired the property through marriage in 1783. Under the Fitzwilliams in the 1830s, Coollattin was the “largest single landholding” in County Wicklow.
The Coollattin Estate was 90,000-acres covering one-fifth of the county of Wicklow and home to 20,000 tenants.
Coollattin House, as it stands today, is the work of two architects; John Carr of York and William Dickie, “both of Yorkshire but from entirely different eras”.
“Carr and the fourth Earl Fitzwilliam were well acquainted – Fizwilliam owned a large amount of land in Yorkshire and Carr had worked with him before.”
“Although not as grand as his other projects, Coollattin House has much in common with them in terms of general elements of the Carr style. Carr had a great fondness for external symmetry, often to the detriment of the layout of the rooms.”
‘Changed coherence of house’
“The alterations made by William Dickie date from 1875 and have changed the coherence of the house substantially. He added a major servants’ wing to the back of the house and a porticoes entrance to the south of the house leading to a formal staircase.”
Lady Juliet de Chair sold the house with 3,300-acres for three million pounds in 1977. Irish millionaire, Michael Brendan Cadogan and Pat Tatton purchased and were later bought out.
“Within a year, Cadogan sold three-quarters of a million pounds worth of the house contents in a private art deal. He sold a further 1,000-acres of the land before selling the now considerably reduced estate and contents to Michael Stanley and Pat Tatton who had been involved in the original sale.”
Also, the house was sold again in 1983, this time, with 63-acres of land. Mr and Mrs Magnus Taylor Wardrop from San Francisco acquired it for one hundred and sixty-eight thousand pounds.
Also, Coollattin was put on the market again in 1995 when Coollattin Golf Club bought the house and sixty-acres. According to the selling agents, this was done to extend the golf course to eighteen holes.
Finally, Wicklow County Council added Coollattin House to its ‘Record of Protected Structures’ following the passing of the Planning & Development Act, 2000.