A tractor driver is facing prosecution after Gardaí seized their vehicle and trailer in Co. Kilkenny yesterday (Tuesday, January 26th).
Kilkenny Roads Policing Unit stopped the tractor and trailer combination on Tullaroan Road and detected multiple road traffic-related offences.
In a post on social media, Garda Síochána Kilkenny/Carlow, said:
“As can be seen from the pictures, the tube was exposed through the tyre. The tractor hadn’t been taxed since 2017. Both tractor and trailer were seized, and prosecutions are to follow. Please ensure your vehicle is roadworthy #Arrivealive #Staysafe.”
Safety tips for drivers
Gardaí are reminding the general public that road safety is everyone’s responsibility.
“An Garda Síochána is committed to achieving reductions in road fatalities and serious injuries in 2017. This can only be achieved with the co-operation of all road users.”
“Drivers are asked to focus on road safety to place the safety of all persons within and around their vehicle as their priority. Let us all get to our destination safely. Take responsibility for your own driving habits.”
It has provided safety tips for drivers in an information leaflet.
- Mobile phones: Making a call while driving will make you 5 times more likely to crash. Meanwhile, texting while driving will make you 23 times more likely to crash.
- Distance: Make sure you leave a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front to maintain a safe stopping distance.
- Take a break: Research suggests that almost 20% of accidents on major roads are sleep-related.
- Drink driving: The only safe advice is to NEVER EVER drink and drive.
- Lights are not just for night-time: Turning on your lights during the day prevents collisions, which reduces death and injuries on our roads. Road users who use their dipped headlights during the day improve their visibility on the road. Remember: Lights on to save lives.
- Buckle up: Click, clack front and back. Seatbelts save lives. Buckle up every time.