Monday, December 4, 2023
1.8 C
HomeFarming NewsNon-vets TB testing in cattle in UK
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnane hails from a sixth-generation drystock and specialised pedigree suckler enterprise in Co. Mayo. She currently holds the positions of editor and general manager at That's Farming, having joined the firm during its start-up phase in 2015.
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Non-vets TB testing in cattle in UK

Since November 2020, non-vets, once trained as an Approved Tuberculin Tester, can undertake TB testing in cattle across the UK.

They must deliver the TB testing service via a veterinary practice and under the supervision of an Approved Veterinary Surgeon (AVS).

The move comes following the Animal and Plant Health Agency’s approval to allow para-professional staff to carry out TB testing once they train as an ATT.

Following this, several veterinary practices across the UK have launched recruitment campaigns for Approved Tuberculin Testers (ATT).

James Allcock from UK Farmcare, a company that assist to manage government TB testing in England, said:

“ATTs may be employed and equipped by a veterinary practice and paid a salary or wages as part of a vet practice team.”

- Advertisement -

“Alternatively, ATTs may also choose to access the training and then deliver the service as a self-employed person. In this situation they must always liaise closely with the farmer’s regular vet.”

According to documentation released by the APHA, to become an ATT, you:
  • Must be at least 18-years-old old;
  • Have a minimum of six months’ previous livestock handling experience;
  • Hold a valid UK driving licence;
  • Possess a passport;
  • Have a clean criminal record;
  • Minimal educational requirements: three GCSEs or equivalent qualifications in mathematics, English and in a science subject or food production;
  • Or: three years performance in a Government regulatory role e.g. Local Authority (LA) Inspector or Environmental Health Officer (EHO);
  • You must complete theory training with an examination invigilated by a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS), a Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN) or an online invigilator appointed by the training provider;
  • Be approved by the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

Following a successful ‘Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)’ check, applicants must find a veterinary practice to provide the direct supervision they need during the practical phase of the training. For more information, see here.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular