Silage clamp lorry sidewalls: A replacement for old car tyres?
Silage clamp lorry sidewalls are a relatively newer way of sealing pits that have become more common in recent times.
So claims PPP Group, which believes that it has introduced a “cheaper and more effective” silage clamp sealing system to the market.
Its silage cover sealing rings, which it has made from lorry side walls, are “much better” than traditional methods of using car tyres, silage nets alone and rubber silage mats.
It claims that its method provides a “cheap and effective” means of applying weight to sheets and nets on top of silage clamps.
Furthermore, it suggests that its product can reduce spoilage and dry matter losses “more effectively” than the aforementioned methods.
It claims that it is a labour-saving option, as it can take half the time and people-power compared to using old car tyres, for example, and is a cheaper option.
According to the company:
- Each ring covers 1 square metre;
- Easy to handle, clean and use: 13kg carried in each hand;
- Tidy and stackable: Stacked on pallets;
- Easy to store and quick to apply – lean up against a wall;
- Labour-saving: According to the company, you can reduce labour;
- You can mechanise handling: Move on pallets or on pallet forks;
- Save money: It claims you can produce more milk from less forage and have healthier cows;
- Reduce top waste on silage – More feedable silage and less mycotoxins;
- Cost-effective: According to the company, it costs 1-3p/t of silage, and “written off over 15 years, the cost is negligible”.
The company believes that its PPP Lorry Tyre Sidewalls are “the perfect replacement for old car tyres on silage clamps”.
“They do not blow off the pit in exposed, windy situations, and unlike gravel bags, they cover the whole surface, last longer and are much cheaper. Lorry Tyre Sidewalls are the best heavyweight covering for silage clamps.”
“Silostop orange or black oxygen barrier film, protected with Silostop woven silage nets and weighted down with PPP Lorry Tyre Side Walls is a particularly effective silage clamp covering system.”
“It has the potential to reduce dry matter losses and spoilage farm more effectively than other clamp sealing systems,” the company concluded.
The company can deliver across Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.
However, supplies can be “very limited” during silage season unless you place an order ahead of time. The company urges farmers to order “several” months before they require the lorry sidewalls.
Other articles on That’s Farming: