Dovea Genetics has described the introduction of sexed semen as “the game changer,” in modern suckler farming.
Sexed semen has become more readily available over the last year, in particular, a move boosted by its partnership with Sexing Technologies, as outlined in this news article.
The AI company, one of the largest of its kind in the country, states that its Sexed Ultra semen provides farmers with the opportunity to breed replacement heifers from superior females, leaving the remainder to be bred to terminal sires.
On the other hand, pedigree breeders can choose cows from which they wish to produce bull calves, ensuring their animals for sale in the coming years are “of the highest genetic merit”.
During a recent autumn beef breeding webinar, John Lynch, the company’s beef programme manager, told farmers about some of its popular sires, from which sexed semen is available.
He told viewers: “I see a huge advantage to breeding two or three replacements from your best cows using sexed semen within a suckler herd.”
Lynch previewed one Simmental sire, two Limousins, and two Belgian Blues as follows:
- Curaheen Gunshot;
- Cavelands Jolly;
- An de Beauffaux;
- Boherard Overdose.
Curaheen Gunshot – SI4147 – Simmental
- One of the highest rated replacement sires in the Simmental breed;
- Sexed female semen;
- Standing the test of time – 6 or 7 years;
- Plus on milk and carcass – Breed medium-sized Simmental cows with good bodies, weight for age and produce conformed progeny;
- Sired top female at recent Roscommon premier sale and €6,000 daughter was one of the top-priced weanlings.
Cavelands Jolly – LM2395 – Limousin
- Limousin bull with three generations of French pedigrees;
- Five-star replacement with a value of €130;
- “Ideal” choice to breed replacements without compromising on quality;
- Daughters have width, square plates, calving ability and milk.
Ewdenvale Ivor – LM2014 – Limousin
- Sexed male and female;
- Ireland’s “ultimate” Limousin sire;
- “Extremely” easy calving;
- Progeny: Long, stylish and muscly – daughters performing “very well” in Irish suckler herds.
An de Beauffaux – BB4438
- Two copies of NT821 gene;
- Easy calving Belgian Blue sire – ideal for second-calvers onwards;
- Carries the red gene;
- Hitting “high notes” at weanling sales – Lynch.
Boherard Overdose – BB8337
- James Bond son;
- Sexed female semen available in December 2022;
- First calves arriving in spring 2023;
- Weanling producer;
- Sexed female.
Other news articles on That’s Farming: