That’s Farming editor, Catherina Cunnane, visited the farm of Ronan Gallagher, Enniscrone Co Sligo, over the weekend, as part of his timed virtual auction’s open day.
Ronan Gallagher’s ‘Summer Belles Sale’, in conjunction with Mayo-Sligo Livestock Mart (Ballina) and Mart Eye’s online platform, will draw to a close at 7 pm this evening (Monday, July 3rd, 2023), on a lot-by-lot basis.
The sale includes:
- Just shy of 50 heifers – LMX, BBX and CHX – and selection of pedigree Charolais (some yearling, maiden and in-calf);
- 40 sheep (ewes and rams), including pedigree Texels, Charollais, Suffolk, Sufftex and Chartex.
To view the catalogue, which is live on MartEye and contains all details of lots and imagery captured by A Moore Media, click this link.
To pre-register to bid, contact Mayo-Sligo Livestock Mart on 096-22555.
For enquiries or further details, contact Ronan at 087-9837107.
Here are some clips we captured of some of the lots to give our readers a sample:
The sale includes a number of daughters of:
- BB4324 (Boroside Jagerbomb ET);
- WBH (HERBERT VD NOORD WATERINGSHOEV);
- PPS (Patissier De La Grande Rose);
- BB4498 (Delure De La Beole),
- EBY (Elderberry Galahad);
- CH5169 (Cloughbrack Navarone);
- BBX101 (Koreas P);
- BBX104 – Dartagnan R;
- OHB (Boherard Hurricane ET);
- FSN (Folon De Cras Avernas);
- S841 (Tropique De Cras Avernas);
- CH4436 (Derryolam Matt);
- RWS (Rosemount Cash ET);
- S1412 – Swarland Eddie;
- BB6634 – Chocolat D Ochamps;
- BB4438 – An De Beauffaux;
- BB2247 – 3033 Du Grand Bon Dieu;
- Various stockbulls.
The sale also features three pedigree registered Charolais heifers:
- 5 – born in March 2020 by Anside Foreman (S1377) and scanned five months in-calf to Fiston;
- 30 – Enniscrone Tulip, a February-2022-born maiden heifer out of Enniscrone Pat ET (Enfield Plexus son) and Enniscrone Jess ET, herself by Texan-Gie;
- 18 – Enniscrone Trish, born in February 2022, out of the aforementioned Enniscrone Pat ET and Enniscrone Impeccable ET.
In terms of sheep, the farm “is offering a range of breeds and types to suit all breeders”, according to Gallagher.
Among the lots are GAI 2203184, its “lead” gimmer, sired by the €8,500 Hillview Eloi, who was purchased at Blessington in 2021.
Her dam is by Sportsman’s A Star and is a full sister to Enniscrone Donovan. She is “a very powerful, stylish sheep and an ideal candidate for flushing in the autumn”, according to Gallagher.
He continued: “Others include the first daughter to be offered for sale from Annaghdown Edoardo, 2203319. She is a very smart gimmer born at the end of March from a Sportsman’s A Star ewe.”
“Her grand-dam is our great Shannagh Won O Won show Hoggot from 2017.”
“We have Garngour Aerosmith daughters, 2203171 & 2203225, from Stainton Coca-Cola and Sportsman’s A Star dams.”
“2203349 is a full sister to our top gimmer that sold for €3300 to Fintan Hackett at last year’s sale. This is a naturally born end-of-April lamb with the same spark and presence,” he remarked.
“Our ram offerings boast great power and scope, with several eligible for the Sheep Improvement Scheme,” he concluded.