Star-struck Irish lovers are splashing out on extra little luxuries for Valentine’s Day this year and oysters, one natural Aphrodisiac, are seeing a rise in sales.
Online fish retailer, Star Seafoods, has witnessed a spike in demand for home-delivered Oysters, which they attribute to people wanting something different and decadent for the most romantic day of the year.
Managing Director, Daniel McCarthy says: “Oysters are well-known for their Aphrodisiac properties; they are incredibly healthy, very low in calories and easy to prepare so what’s not to love?”
“I think people are trying to find something new. COVID-19 has really made people stop and reassess and a part of this can definitely be seen in their willingness to try new foods.”
“We have a range of different fish and seafood that we deliver to homes throughout the country. As the months go on, we can see that people are getting more and more adventurous with their orders. Oysters, though are not an everyday item, they are rich and luxurious and at the higher price range, but they perfect for special days like Valentine’s.”
Oysters for Valentine’s Day – How to open
The company has compiled some important safety tips on how to open them to avoid any cuts or accidents:
- When you get your oysters delivered make sure they are tightly closed.
- Opening them is the tricky part. Oyster knives are short and blunt, designed to take a bit of tension. Using a kitchen knife may not be the wisest move as it may snap in your hand. If, like most people you don’t have an oyster knife, then you may have to head to the tool shed and get the flat head screwdriver.
- Hold the oyster with a cloth (protecting your hand) curved side down on a board.
- Place the screwdriver (or oyster knife) into the hinge between the top and bottom shell. Carefully pry the shells apart, it may take a little work, but you’ll eventually take off the top shell.
- If there is seawater in with the oyster, then let it there for added flavour. Check for any fragments of shell left in the oyster and remove.
- Season the Oysters with lemon juice, tabasco or have them just as they are.
- They are best enjoyed with a crisp dry white wine, champagne or Guinness!
Like so many businesses, Star Seafoods, which is based in Kenmare, Co. Kerry, has had to change its modus operandi to stay afloat.
Their main business is supplying 350 top hotels and restaurants but once they were forced to close, they had to look for an additional viable customer base.
Once the fish has landed it is brought straight to our state-of-the-art factory in Kenmare where it is filleted, iced and packed and from there delivered in special refrigerated vans which guarantee freshness.
“It’s almost from the sea to the dinner plate! People are going wild for it. They love the fact that they can get sparklingly fresh fish right to their doors, at keen prices and in such a convenient way.”
“There is just a €10 minimum order and free delivery, so it’s offering customers real convenience and real value. We’re delighted with how it’s going. The most important thing is that we are getting constant repeat custom.”