Update on NI beef prices March 2022.
Factories across Northern Ireland increased young bull, steer, and cull cow prices this week.
Heifers were the only category to experience a slight decline in prices.
Base quotes from NI processors for U-3 grade steers and heifers “strengthened” and ranged from 392-406p/kg.
The trade for cows continued to strengthen with quotes for good quality O+3s in the region of 280-326p/kg across factories.
NI beef prices March 2022
According to the LMC:
- The average heifer price in NI last week saw a slight increase of 0.1p/kg to 407.7p/kg with the R3 heifer price up by 1.5p/kg to 417p/kg;
- The average young bull price in NI last week saw the largest increase, up by 7.8p/kg to 392.8p/kg. The R3 young bull price was up 2.4p/kg to 401.7p/kg;
- The average steer price rose by 0.8p/kg to 407.9p/kg, while the R3 steer price was up by 0.7p/kg to 416.9p/kg when compared to the previous week;
- The cow trade in NI also continued to strengthen last week with a rise in prices across the grades compared to last week. The NI average cow price was up by 1.9p/kg to 301p/kg, while the O3 cow price “strengthened” 6p/kg to 328p/kg.
According to the LMC, supplies of prime cattle for slaughter last week amounted to 6,832 head across the local plants, up 934 head compared to the corresponding week in 2021 when prime cattle throughput was 5,898 head.
Meanwhile, cow throughput in NI last week totalled 2,046 head. This was back 122 head from the week before, and 377 head more than during the same week in 2021.
Imports and exports
Cattle imports from ROI for direct slaughter last week comprised 185 prime cattle and 68 cows, compared to 253 prime cattle and 137 cows the previous week, and 282 prime cattle and 90 cows recorded in the same week in 2021.
No cattle were imported into NI from GB last week for direct slaughter. However, the three prime cattle and 31 cows made the journey from NI to GB for direct slaughter.
Exports from NI for direct slaughter in ROI last week included five prime cattle and 21 cows. This was similar to the same week last year when eight prime cattle and 26 cows were exported to ROI for direct slaughter.
GB beef prices
According to the LMC, in GB last week the deadweight prime cattle trade also “continued to strengthen” across most grades.
- The average heifer price in GB last week was up 5.8p/kg to 416.8p/kg while the average R3 heifer price was up 3.3p/kg to 422.8p/kg;
- Meanwhile, the average steer price in GB rose by 5.4p/kg to 417.4p/kg, while the average R3 steer price increased by 4.9p/kg to 423p/kg;
- The average GB cow price last week saw an increase of 10.3p/kg to 327p/kg, with the 03 cow price up 10.1p/kg to 349.4p/kg.
Other articles on That’s Farming: