The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) has launched its new calf registration app.
Calf-Reg is now available free-of-charge to all herd keepers that have an iOS or Android smartphone.
The Minister stated that the switch from paper notifications to electronic notifications to facilitate the registration of calves was very encouraging.
In 2019, over 70% of calves born were registered on the Animal Identification and Movement System (AIMS) using electronic notifications.
This introduction of the new app offers an efficient and user-friendly way to register calves electronically, the DAFM outlined.
The main benefits of the app, as stated by the Department, include:
- App is available on most mobile devices, (phones, tablets, laptops etc);
- Simple step-by-step process to record calf registration details;
- App records registration details even without network coverage, and can be submitted later to update records on AIMS when network coverage allows;
- App can be used in any location, including in farm buildings while tagging calves; and
- Prompt calf registrations that speeds up processing of passports with no postage delays.
Herd keepers must have an Agfood account to use the app. A keeper may register to obtain an Agfood account online at www.agfood.ie .
The Agfood helpdesk (Ph No: 0761 064424) is available to assist a farmer with any difficulties experienced with registration. Furthermore, herd keepers can submit queries by emails to – firstname.lastname@example.org .