Milltown Farm for sale
Circa 139-acres of land spread across two counties, extensive facilities and housing coupled with road and river frontage are among the unique features of Milltown Farm, which will come under the hammer next month.
Quillsen Auctioneers is handling the sale of the “well established” farm operation in Kilskyrne, Kells, Co Meath.
The firm has suggested that this is “perfect” as a dairy operation with its apparent high-quality land, “high” state of fertility and convenient location.
According to the company’s Chris Smith, “seldom does the opportunity arise where one gets to purchase such a wonderfully, fine productive agricultural holding that extends into two counties”.
He said it offers an “ideal opportunity for a new dairy entrant or an established operator seeking expansion”.
The farm, in three adjacent divisions, is intersected by a local road, the Kilskyre/Clonmellon Road (L6822) and the Milltown River over which, there is a private bridge allowing for “seamless” connectivity of the predominately Royal County lands with the smaller Westmeath element.
Milltown Farm was home to the Kilskyre Dairy herd, the renowned Kilskyre Jane Cow family, which was dispersed in two successful sales last year.
Having expanded the acreage over the years, Milltown Farm is presently primarily laid under grassland pasture, largely laid out in paddocks and meadow ground.
The block, on the opposite side of the road, is currently in winter barley, having been under a maize crop in 2021.
The farmyard, built around a 10-unit herringbone parlour, consists of a “vast” combination of:
- Slurry and effluent storage, as well as a 330,000-gallon slurry store;
- Silage pits;
- Slatted, cubicle and dry-bedded livestock housing to “comfortably” accommodate cows and followers, including calves;
- Cattle handling facilities;
The farmyard incorporates the former stone stables of the adjoining Milltown House.
The selling agents believe that the operation will likely attract notable interest, given its suitability for dairying or equine operations or diversification into hospitality or agri-tourism.
Milltown Farm is rurally based while at the same time being very conveniently positioned. It is only a couple of minutes drive from both the villages of Kilskyre (R154) to the northeast and Clonmellon (N52) to the southwest.
Moreover, the farm is approximately 11km from Delvin Livestock Mart and Carnaross Mart. The towns of Kells, Athboy, Trim, Navan and Mullingar are approximately 10km, 11km, 23km, 25km and 30km distant.
Besides, it is 2.5km from the N52 and a short distance from motorway networks, 9.5km from the M3 and 31km from the M4 and M6.
Hybrid property auction
The firm will offer the property for sale in one or more lots on Wednesday, May 11th, 2022. The hybrid auction, in conjunction with LSL Auctions, will take place at 3:30 pm at the Headfort Arms Hotel, Kells, Co Meath.
- 1: Circa 700acres at Milltown Road. Laid out in one block with the buildings. Road frontage to the L6822 and frontage to the Milltown River. Services include mains electricity along with a public water supply and water from a private well;
- 2: Circa 33-acres at Milltown Td. laid out in one division, without buildings. Frontage to the Milltown River and the L6822. Located on the opposite side of the road to lot 1;
- 3: Circa 36-acres at Killua Td. Laid out in one division, without buildings. Cul-de-sac access off the N52 (Kells / Clonmellon Road). Frontage to the Milltown River over which there is a private bridge to connect with lot 1;
- 4: The entire.
Other articles on That’s Farming: