The owner of a lively watering hole in Co Meath is on a mission to help a ‘lonely hearts farmer’ find a better half.
Swans of Curragha placed a sandwich board, which has since gone viral on social media, outside its premises.
On it, the bar provided a description of the man and the traits he seeks in a potential wife.
Lonely hearts farmer
The farmer, who currently resides with his mother, claims to have road frontage and 40 dairy cows.
He desires a woman who is “20-60ish, a Meath supporter and is willing to cook and clean”.
They must be “able to muck out, handle a bull and drive a tractor Fla-Hout”.
“Wellington boots supplied free of charge. Leave details behind the bar,” the notice added.
The farmer reached out to pub owner, Paddy Swan, ahead of St Valentine’s Day. Swan hopes to get singletons back mingling again at bars, like pre-Covid-19 times.
Last month, another one of the pub’s posts on social media went viral.
It shared a snap of a sandwich board, with the following message: “Drinkers wanted. Experience necessary. Apply inside.”
On social media, its post read: “Excellent opportunity to join our enthusiastic team of loyal locals. Experience required.”
“Flexible hours and excellent benefits. Interviews every evening from 5 pm. Contact Paddy for details,” it added.
Dating a farmer
Last year, Ulster Farmers’ Union outlined what you should know when dating a farmer:
- Standing in the gap when moving livestock and not falling out with the in-laws;
- Going on a ‘break’ over the harvest/silage period is essential;
- Date night consists of viewing Rare Breed, Farm FLiX, the weather forecast or CCTV footage of the maternity ward;
- Meals in the local livestock market or in the cab of the tractor;
- A unique smelling ‘perfume’;
- They are never on time – especially when it’s lambing/calving time or the slurry ban is lifted;
- Understand all the farmer lingo and acronyms;
- Under every field ‘name’ and back road – “The top field down the side road at Jimmy’s”
- Learn the codes: “The one with the….” Or “the biggest one…”
- Being telepathic is handy;
- Become an expert in keeping farm records.