Thursday, December 7, 2023
9.4 C
HomeFarming NewsHave you say: Do you agree with proposed tractor licence changes?
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnane
Catherina Cunnane hails from a sixth-generation drystock and specialised pedigree suckler enterprise in Co. Mayo. She currently holds the positions of editor and general manager at That's Farming, having joined the firm during its start-up phase in 2015.
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Have you say: Do you agree with proposed tractor licence changes?

As That’s Farming reported last week, CEETTAR – the European Organisation of Agricultural, Rural and Forestry Contractors – has submitted proposals for a common driving licence for agriculture and forestry machinery (T licence) to the EU Commission.

In an eight-page submission, the body – which claims to represent close to 600,000 workers – outlined its vision for a licence that all EU member states recognise.

Firstly, it explained that it proposes to retain the already existing national driving licence (based on already existing national rules) without making it compulsory to implement a new T-driving licence for national agricultural use.

However, it says that a member state will have to accept a driver with an EU driving licence, in the same way as it is today, for “all-road driving with the machines covered by the scope of the licence, regardless of the sector of activity in which the machines are operating”.

CEETTAR proposes a two-tier (T1 and T2) driving licence for agriculture and forestry machinery.

The T1 tier, it says, is adapted for small farming activities, such as feed loading machines and cattle farms.

- Advertisement -

Meanwhile, the T2 tier is valid for heavier and faster agriculture and forestry vehicles and for yellow machines (non-road mobile machinery).

Each of these tiers, it says, there should be different speed and capacity limitations.

It believes the driving licence should apply for both agriculture and non-agriculture work.

The EU T-driving licence, it says, will foster the free movement of services and employees across borders. It will also improve road safety on all EU roads.

Furthermore, to lower the costs of licencing, the body recommends inserting free licensing in educational curricula and to develop automatic licensing for experienced drivers.

Read this article in full.

UK law 

Meanwhile, in the UK, people can take a standalone DSA tractor driving test to obtain a category F licence.

This category includes tractors with two or more axles built for off-road agriculture or forestry work.

According to Ben Shaw Training, to apply for your tractor licence, you will need to:

  • Obtain a National Insurance number to apply for your provisional;
  • Apply for a provisional from 15 years and 9 months of age;
  • Book your test through DVSA once you receive your provisional.
- Advertisment -

Most Popular