Prices soared to £980 for a pair of Suffolk-sired ewe lambs at this year’s RUAS Beef and Lamb Championships.
Keith Corrigan, Ballinamallard also paid £960 for a pair of Dutch Spotted ewe lambs from Liam Campbell.
Alfie Murray oversaw placings in the lamb section at this year’s RUAS Beef and Lamb Championships.
He tapped out a “well-matched” pair of Beltex lambs from Andrew McCutcheon as his supreme champion, which was next in the price table.
These grossed £720 in the sales ring and will now be served up in McGraths Farm Shop, Annacloy.
In the reserve spot were a smart pair of Dutch Spotted from Liam Campbell. Derek Hempton, Gortin snapped these up for £640.
Leading the prices in the lamb ring were a pair of ewe lambs from Adam Donald.
Buyers will be in for a treat at Alfie Murray Butchers, Killyleagh as they parted with £700 to secure a pair of Badger Faced lambs from Clive Richardson, Lisnaskea.
lamb championships prices
- Adam Donald £490 to Keith Corrigan, Ballinamallard
- Liam Campbell £480 to Keith Corrigan, Ballinamallard
- Andrew McCutcheon £360 to McGrath Farm Shop, Annacloy
- A & C Richardson £350 to Alfie Murray Butchers, Killyleagh
- Liam Campbell £320 to D Hempton, Gortin
- Gary Beacom £310 to The Morning Star
- D&A McCrea £300 to C Lagan, Derry
- Ian Colville £250 to G McGerrigle, Donemana
- Tommy Jackson £240 to Alfie Murray Butchers, Killyleagh
- Alan Hempton £220 to Glenpark Estate, Omagh
- Liam Campbell £210 to G Christie, Derry
- D&A McCrea £210 to C Lagan, Derry
- Liam Campbell £200 to G Christie, Derry
- Kenneth Preston £200 to Glenpark Estate, Omagh
- Jonathan McKelvey £200 to E Gould, Garvagh
- Kenneth Preston £200 to Lee Bowden, Stewartstown
According to organisers, a “bumper” entry of lambs, calves and prime cattle attracted “an influx of” potential buyers to the Eikon Exhibition Centre at Balmoral.
“There was a fantastic feel-good atmosphere throughout the day. Competition right across the board was fierce. The very finest of Northern Ireland’s livestock competed in no less than 60 classes, placed by a team of four judges.”
- Beef and Lamb Championships: Cattle prices